About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc.’s Environmental, Social, and Governance team (“ESG”) team is part of the Strategic Growth Office, which is at the forefront of driving our next chapter of growth. Leading with our values is more important than ever – both in growing our billion-dollar purpose-driven brands and fueling our commitment to doing the right thing for people, planet and communities. The ESG team leads our work in how we ensure we have positive impact across our focus areas of empowering women, enabling opportunity and enriching communities.
As the Head of Product Sustainability, you will be instrumental in catalyzing positive impact across the enterprise and driving progress toward Gap Inc.’s ESG commitments including sourcing more sustainable materials, elimination of PFC chemicals, elimination of single-use plastics, science-based carbon neutrality, 100% renewable energy, net positive water impact, and a water and climate resilient value chain. You will partner across the organization, and especially with the brands, design, merchandising, strategy, and supply chain teams, to develop and implement product sustainability strategies. The Head of Product Sustainability will report to the VP, Head of Global Sustainability and ESG.
What you'll do
- Drives the end-to-end development, execution and communication of a global product sustainability strategy.
- Collaborates with brand sustainability leads to influence key stakeholders including design, merchandising, fabric R&D, sourcing, quality, transportation, distribution, store operations, and marketing.
- Leads a matrixed team, knows how to build talent, and experience in developing team members.
- Partners with brands, sourcing, and key stakeholders to build a cohesive fiber and materials sourcing strategy including developing solutions for traceability and transparency.
- Builds the product sustainability expertise, tools, partnerships, and processes which will enable progress across the portfolio of brands.
- Supports brands in achieving their respective product sustainability targets and making strong, validated consumer-facing claims that are aligned with brand business strategies.
- Proactively identifies and communicates business issues by researching market, competitive, consumer, vendor, NGO, and other relevant trends to bring recommended best practices in market to leadership team to inform best practices.
- Drives organizational effectiveness by fostering understanding of the value within product sustainability and its alignment with business and brand strategies.
- Clearly delineates roles and responsibilities, and builds a positive, inclusive culture that drives simplification, eliminates redundant, non-value add work and streamlines process.
- Represents Gap Inc. with external audiences to demonstrate sustainability leadership and promote industry collaboration.
Who you are
- 15+ years of experience including significant sourcing/supply chain, product development, and/or production experience in the apparel industry.
- 6+ years of people management experience.
- Thrives in a highly collaborative environment, working with diverse cultures, and influencing people.
- Strong project management skills including an ability to work successfully with peers, teams, and executives in a matrixed organization.
- Experience in environmental and social product claims/certifications, sustainability reporting, life cycle analysis, traceability, and circularity.
- Advanced communications skills to translate data into understandable and actionable information for a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience driving sustainability in a complex company and supply chain.
- Knowledge of how apparel and non-apparel industry businesses, strategies and the competition operate in the marketplace, and ability to use this knowledge to inform and influence product sustainability strategies and practices.
- Analytical skills to support the analysis and interpretation of sustainability impacts on businesses and value chains.
- Experience in manufacturing, economic evaluations, and operations management.
- Flexible working hours to accommodate meetings with global teams.
- Ability to travel internationally in the future.
- Passionate about global sustainability and making a long-term impact on people, our planet, and communities.
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs