About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The Chief of Staff will play a critical role in formulating strategy and ensuring the smooth operation of the Legal and Asset Protection functions at Gap Inc. This organization consists of the Gap Inc. Legal Department, which is made up of approximately one hundred employees across several teams supporting the legal and compliance needs of the company and the board of directors; and the Gap Inc. Asset Protection and Security team, which consists of approximately 469 employees and is responsible for all aspect of security at our stores and other locations around the world. The role reports directly to the Gap Inc. Chief Legal and Compliance Officer (CLO) and is responsible for partnering to ensure the CLO and Legal/Compliance and Asset Protection/Security organizations are set-up to success.
This role will partner closely with the CLO on a daily basis and manage the execution of projects and tasks across all facets of business operations, including day-to-day management, special initiatives, and oversight of deadlines.
The role will be responsible for making time, information, and key decision processes for the CLO and the Legal/Compliance and Asset Protection/Security functions more effective and efficient. Through the leadership of strategic projects and orchestration of process + workflow improvements, this individual will help to streamline and simplify the decision-making process. This position requires a strategic mindset and consulting skills with a strong bias towards collaboration and delivery.
What you'll do
- Maximize CLO’s effectiveness and efficiency by streamlining time, information, and key decision processes
- Identify key strategic priorities
- Map calendar/time commitments against priorities
- Map stakeholder network and develop engagement plan against strategic priorities
- Filter external information coming into the CLO office and draft responses as necessary
- Serve as an air traffic controller for the CLO while working closely with senior members of the legal and asset protection teams and the Executive Assistant to the CLO
- Collaborate with the Head of Legal Operations and Head of AP/Security Operations as well as the Corporate Secretary’s office as needed.
- Work closely with the communications team to ensure both external engagements and internal communication reflect the CLO’s strategic priorities and personal brand
- Protect CLO’s time and focus
- Write first drafts of emails, letters etc. for the CLO
- Lead and manage strategic projects across the legal and asset protection organization:
- Partner with CLO and her leaders to develop and refresh the organization strategy and annual priorities
- Ensure organizations strategic priorities and budget needs are captured in LRP process
- Coordinate a mix of special projects by acting in a hands-on capacity responsible to drive day-to-day project activities and operations
- Continuously identify ways to improve the team’s operational workflow and drive process improvements.
- Leverage financial acumen skills with the ability to understand and anticipate the needs of the respective business stakeholders.
- As needed, support Board of Directors material preparation
- Meeting Planning, facilitation, and follow-up:
- Preparation, advance planning, and facilitation of leadership team meetings; accountable for ensuring that the meeting objectives are realistic, the team is well-prepared, and that action items and next steps are documented and tracked.
- Develop presentations and briefs for meetings/engagements with key internal and external stakeholders
- As requested, take notes during the meetings that the CLO attends and making sure that the action items from the meeting are executed
- Connecting work streams that may remain siloed
- As a communicator linking the CLO to the broader organization - this means being able to communicate wants, needs, concerns, ideas from employee to boss in an effective and efficient way
Who you are
- High Intellectual Curiosity: Have an insatiable curiosity to learn and proactive approach to leaning in on new opportunities, even those outside your comfort zone.
- Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly and can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods
- Financial Business Acumen: Knowledge and understanding of financial touch points and strong financial business acumen.
- Results Orientation: Delivers beyond expectations and sets new and stretching goals for him/herself and the team. S/he will have a deep understanding of operational and process improvements that impact quality and execution and deliver continuous improvement
- Process Management: Can identify and articulate the processes necessary to get things down efficiently and effectively
- Planning & Priority Setting: Demonstrate an ability to set objectives and goals and organize work appropriately to meet and exceed goals
- Problem Solving & Decision Quality: Able to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
- Organizational Savvy: Able to build constructive and effective relationships and use them to maneuver through complex situations
- Influencing & Negotiation: Can present ideas and directions that lead others to action
- Risk Management: Ability to think ahead and catch problems before they arise
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrates strong listening, written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience – MBA preferred
- 8-10 years work experience, preferable in Retail +/or fast-paced industry
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs