Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
You will be a strong creative R&D leader, apply market research, develop mill partnerships and source key trends to drive fabric development, innovation and new technologies which meet our brand aesthetic and align to our sustainability goals and long-range plans. You will lead the team with a ‘Fabric First’ mentality, present fabrics that meet our brand filters, work with fiber suppliers on sustainable alternatives throughout the product-to-market process and be instrumental in educating, shaping and enabling the brands vision for the future in innovation and sustainable product. You will work in a highly matrixed organization and play a key role within the design creative team, as well as providing direction and thought partnership to the Mill Management and Fabric Engineering teams in Asia, to ensure newness of fabric successfully transitions into our processes.
• Develop the woven fabric strategy for the brand, shaping and influencing the fabrics we use, with a strong lens on driving newness towards innovation and sustainability
• Instill brand filters based on design’s vision and pricing architecture--work closely with mills for any opportunities to cost engineer specific fabrics to meet our targets.
• understanding of our testing requirements and risk assessment tool--partner regularly with mills and CFT on all medium and high-risk fabrics.
• Continuously seek innovation, seamlessly moving newness into bulk production with global sourcing partnerships
• Present seasonal fabric direction quarterly based on the newest innovation, technologies, sustainable fibers and clean chemistry finishes.
• Foster creativity and inspire your team to source, develop and find fabrics that meet the brand’s long-range plan, our price parameters and the sustainably targets.
• Apply discipline when working through seasonal development metrics.
• Support pricing guidelines at the fabric level to meet the brand’s cost parameters for all categories.
Who you are
- Woven fabric knowledge—strong understanding of fabric constructions, dye techniques, garment construction, preferred sustainable fibers and finishes, as well as an understanding of product manufacturing and sourcing processes.
- Well versed in apparel design and product development
- Strong network and knowledge of mill capabilities for woven fabrics
- Personal Leadership- demonstrated executive presence, brand vision, presentation, influencing, and collaboration across a leadership team.
• Change Leadership- experience leading with and without authority to influence others and drive decision-making
- Innovation Cultivator
- Customer Insights
- Drive Results
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs