About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc.’s Environmental, Social, and Governance Team (“ESG”) team is part of the Strategic Growth Office, which is at the forefront of driving our next chapter of growth. Leading with our values is more important than ever – both in growing our billion-dollar lifestyle brands and fueling our commitment to doing the right thing for people, planet and communities. The ESG team leads our work in how we ensure we have impact across our focus areas of empowering women, enabling opportunity and enriching communities.
As the Head of ESG Strategy, you will work across the sustainability teams to detail an integrated strategy collectively with our brand product teams, supply chain, and external stakeholders. This strategy will enable us to take long term goals and mobilize them by adopting new processes, technology and policies to maximize our impact. The strategy will integrate the work end-to-end across the value chain and ensure the impact is integrated across external stakeholders, government affairs and our brands. You will be responsible for working with the ESG leadership team to form the roadmaps and public/private partnerships that drive collaboration on the global scale to move Gap Inc. forward on our ESG commitments. You will also be responsible for helping to define how these commitments come to life via establishing the capabilities, and processes Gap Inc will use to effectively deliver the ESG impact. You will partner across the organization to evaluate, analyze, and execute upon strategic opportunities as Gap Inc. and our brands continue to evolve. This leader will work in a matrixed environment with the leaders of sustainability, supply chain, finance, and Gap Inc.’s brands to ensure that brand and functional strategies come together to deliver value. The Head of ESG Strategy will dual report to Head of Strategy and Head of ESG.
What you'll do
- Drive the end-to-end development of Gap Inc.’s ESG strategy and ensure integration with brand, supply chain and Gap Inc. strategy including economic analysis, KPI development, quantitative and qualitative assessment and roadmaps
- Partner with cross-functional business partners to identify opportunities for scaled impact, prioritize focus, and operationalize the solutions that are most impactful to Gap Inc. and its brands
- Identify and deconstruct business issues and develop strategic, analytical, and financial frameworks to evaluate against; communicate via executive-ready content that articulates clear and compelling storylines to drive action
- Build existing and new programs that align to Gap Inc.’s strategy and leverage to expand opportunities within the business – these will be in service of employees, suppliers, consumers, and other key stakeholders
- Help identify potential external partners to amplify ESG strategic agenda and manage ongoing relationships
- Develop internal and external ESG governance and reporting; work collaboratively across brands and functions to track and monitor progress, drive program awareness and communicate results
- Proactively identify and communicating business issues by researching market, competitive, consumer, vendor, NGO, and other relevant trends; and bring recommended best practices in market to leadership team to inform practices; serves as a thought leader and liaison with business partners and across Gap Inc.
Who you are
- 10+ years of strategy consulting and commiserate experience in supply chain or operations with demonstrated ESG experiences. Bachelor’s degree and MBA required
- Broad knowledge and experience around social, sustainability and governance issues
- Experience in strategy to build business case, socialize strategic initiatives, and operationalize across teams
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills; ability to frame new, ambiguous and complex issues; able to generate insight through rigorous analysis and demonstrate thought leadership
- Strong leadership abilities, including the ability to develop talent and build a high performing team; high-level of intellectual curiosity
- Strong influence skills and ability to work successfully with peers, teams, and C-suite executives in a matrixed organization
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills to support internal and external relationship building. Strong public speaking experience including engagements at conferences, with investors and media
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs