About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The Senior Counsel plays a critical role in demonstrating progress against Gap Inc.’s long-term growth strategy to employees, strategic partners, and shareholders as we position our purpose-led, billion-dollar lifestyle brands for growth. We are looking for an experienced Corporate and Securities Counsel to join a team of legal professionals handling a broad range of corporate matters, including general corporate, governance, corporate secretarial, legal entity, securities, executive compensation, treasury, tax, transactions, sustainability, and foundation. The lawyer will advise on, handle, and manage a variety of matters, initially focusing on securities, executive compensation, general corporate matters, and strategic initiatives, but the ideal candidate should expect that the role will evolve over time. Key business partners initially will include Accounting, Investor Relations, Communications, Compensation, Tax, and Corporate Strategy.
What you'll do
- Manage, prepare, and advise on a variety of corporate and securities matters, including public disclosures and 1933 and 1934 Act filings and compliance.
- Advise, support, and draft agreements for strategic relationships, investments, and acquisitions.
- Advise and support on executive compensation and benefit plans and related matters.
- Handle miscellaneous corporate, securities, and financial matters.
- Build relationships with legal colleagues and business partners to effectively provide legal and strategic advice to assist the business to meet its objectives.
- Partner with corporate strategy team on transactions. – from deal structuring, due diligence, negotiations, drafting, signing/closing, through post-deal integration and support.
- Manage team of of experienced paralegals who lead international and domestic subsidiary work.
Who you are
- Bachelors and Juris Doctor degrees and licensed to practice law in the U.S.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience
- Relevant corporate and securities work experience in a reputable law firm and/or public companies
- Proven ability to effectively influence, collaborate, and build partnerships with business partners and legal team members at all levels. Proactive and drives resolution (or escalation) of significant issues. Provides strategic advice and technical expertise
- Excellent organizational and project management skills. Strong analytical skills
- Positive attitude and calm under pressure. Practical and flexible. Able to prioritize and juggle multiple competing tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Adept at and comfortable with complex riskeward assessments. Desire and ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- San Francisco based preferred
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs