About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
This position will be focused on privacy compliance and data security and will report into Gap’s Product, Customer & Digital Legal Team, collaborating heavily with our global legal teams. Duties of the role include providing strategic counsel on customer and employee data practices and policies, vendor and technology agreements; and “product review” for the company’s ecommerce, mobile and omni-channel strategies. The role will work closely with our information security, GapTech and internal audit teams on various privacy and security related issues. The position also collaborates closely with our internal business teams to educate them on current and developing privacy laws, advise them on new digital products, and handle data protection issues proactively. The role requires expertise in both privacy law and compliance in order to handle complex issues in a variety of contexts. In addition, the successful person in this role will exhibit curiosity, responsiveness, and interest in helping our businesses solve problems.
What you'll do
- Collaborates with cross-functional team of subject matter experts to review proposed applications, technologies, projects and internal practices for privacy and data protection issues. Drives towards assessment and remediation of data protection matters. Perform data privacy impact assessments, vendor privacy practice assessment and contract negotiation.
- Own and lead various teams or projects and play a high-profile contributor role on others involving privacy and technology. Support, counsel and, as needed, drive responses to data breaches and other compliance challenges.
- Advise and counsel business partners and technology teams regarding proposed applications and programs, including security assessments and Privacy Impact Assessments. Consistent engagement with all brands, and multiple teams and departments across the Gap Inc. organization.
- Work closely with business partners to identify risk areas with new or existing software and propose solutions.
- Keep abreast of developments in federal, state, and international privacy and cybersecurity law. Proactively engage with business units to identify and remediate issues and ensure timely compliance.
- Review of internal and externally-facing privacy policies and information governance notices. Advise on and review data subject access requests.
- Collaborate with product security teams to assess new products and ensure compliance with existing cybersecurity regulations.
Who you are
- Minimum 5 years’ experience advising on US and international privacy and security issues including data protection, retention, security and breach rules. In-house and technology experience a plus.
- Comfortable managing highly complex matters and projects. Workstreams and initiatives originate from multiple different business partners and groups within the company, adding additional layers of complexity.
- Track record of advising on privacy issues related to social media, email, SMS, chat, and other marketing channels.
- Experience drafting and reviewing consumer and corporate privacy policies.
- Experience performing data mapping, reviewing and responding to data subject access requests, and other privacy compliance obligations.
- In-depth knowledge of privacy frameworks such as CCPA, CAN-SPAM, CASL, TCPA, and GDPR.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines with multiple stakeholders.
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs