About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The Head of Global Sustainability offers a unique opportunity to partner with our business leaders to identify solutions that are better for business, better for the consumer and support sustainability. This role will lead need to evolve, implement, and continuously optimize the sustainability strategies for Gap Inc. People Planet Community This leader will be responsible for innovating, defining, embedding and leading the strategic initiatives of our Supplier Sustainability and Product, and Environmental Sustainability teams as well as building our ESG analytics and reporting team. The role will work to operationize this work by embedding it further into Gap Inc. culture and every functional area through partnership with our Supply Chain and the Global Brand teams. This role demands a balance of deep business operations, supply chain and strategy building knowledge along with a proven track record of innovation and an understanding of and passion for sustainability practices, challenges and issues. The leader of the Supplier, Environmental and Product Sustainability teams will work closely with the entire senior leadership team and build on the existing strong shared value work inside Gap Inc. including partnering closely with our human resources, community and government affairs leaders on broader social issues. S/he will utilize gained industry knowledge and develop a deep understanding of Gap Inc.’s business and strategy to effectively address a wide range of challenging issues that advance the supplier and sustainability goals for the company. This leader will need to leverage strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, including NGOs, trade unions, industry organizations, multi-stakeholder initiatives and other brands in order to raise the bar for the industry and deliver shared value.
What you'll do
- Work with the Chief Legal & Compliance Officer, Senior Leadership Team and business partners throughout the company to proactively identify, develop and drive long-term strategies and initiatives.
- Partner with the business on product initiatives for Gap Inc., drive supply chain sustainability improvements, and continue and accelerate our environmental and human rights leadership across the supply chain.
- He/She will lead the implementation of programs to continuously improve sustainability performance across the pillars of People, Planet and Community, focusing in on leadership opportunities in water, waste, cotton, opportunity and women’s empowerment.
- Collaborate across the company to drive best-in-class management of product and environmental impacts through design and manufacturing due diligence, regulatory compliance and government relations and the reduction of product environmental impacts.
- Oversee development and implementation of Supplier, Product, and Environmental Affairs programs that deliver on the Enterprise strategic sustainability goals.
- Support corporate governance of supplier and environmental sustainability by presenting to the Gap Inc. Board of Directors Governance & Sustainability Committee on a regular basis.
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration with leaders and teams responsible for the other parts of Social and the Governance components of the company’s ESG work., including building an ESG reporting function inside the sustainability org.
- Proactively identify and analyze business trends and industry benchmark analysis. Develop and implement strategic solutions for sustainable improvements that positively impact the Company and the industry.
- Build relationships and partner with key internal business partners to ensure cross-functional ownership of environmental initiatives that deliver against the sustainability strategy.
- Identify and build relationships with appropriate external environmental organizations that can contribute to development and execution of strategies and initiatives.
- Oversee budget development and lead long-range planning for Global Sustainability department.
- Oversee development and maintenance of tools, training, IT systems and main global communications channels to support and amplify sustainability work and success.
Who you are
- 15+ years’ experience with a solid understanding of the product to market processes and levers in a specialty retail business. General Manager business and/or direct supply chain experience in retail a plus
- Proven experience in strategy development
- Demonstrated understanding of environmental issues associated with supply chain, stores, corporate facilities and distribution centers, including compliance, waste management, toxics, energy conservation and natural resources as well as key environmental issues and opportunities for sustainable product and product development
- Thorough understanding of Corporate Social Responsibility and/or Shared Value programs
- Proven ability to embed sustainability and shared value practices into how business gets done
- Proven experience in team management and leadership (e.g., provide direction, analyze resource capacity and successfully drive results) at both direct and cross-functional levels
- Familiar with standard organizational structure needs (budget, systems, tools)
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs