For the past 22 years, we’ve committed ourselves and our brand to a single aim: to empower all women and girls. Inspiration. Collaboration. Connection. Inclusivity. It’s what we do best, and we’re on the hunt for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
We use business as a force for good by putting people and the planet right up there with profit, which is why Athleta is a certified B Corp. Ready to make a move? Join us. Because we know that alone we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable.
About the role
As a Designer, you will contribute to four seasonal collections per year, as well as additional capsule collections and special projects. You will report into the Design Director, work closely with the Design Team, and partner with cross functional team members who collectively are responsible for creating innovative product that is famous for its sustainable technical beauty.
What you'll do
- Research global markets in order to identify new trends, silhouettes, fabrics, techniques, embellishments, collaborations, and sport
- Partner with R&D and Merchandising to brief seasonal materials and trims and input into materials long range plan; own formalized brief creation
- Initiate designs beginning with thorough research to communicate seasonal trend & inspiration
- Participate in the conceptual development of the collection, and advocate design ideas by presenting to multiple audiences (internal leaders as well as cross-functional partners).
- Partner with Design Lead and Product Engineering to elevate craft techniques and design language as well as contribute to long lead time innovation projects put forth by brand strategies
- Balance fashion & trend within the line plan - drive core category evolution and development of emerging businesses opportunities
- Sketch in 2D with Illustrator software; hand sketching a plus; 3D software knowledge advantageous (CLO, Browzwear, Optitex)
- Partner with Product Engineering to create tech packs and communicate vision behind fit & design, ensuring execution, quality, and desired margin targets
- Collaborate with surface and color teams to curate print, jacquard and color assortment
- Pre-fit prototypes (ensuring fit intent, styling, constructions); participate in weekly fittings
- Consistently review consumer feedback online and weekly sales reports; lead Design meetings to gain consumer, athlete, trend and market insights
- Exhibit self and team leadership, growth and development
Who you are
Dynamic, team-oriented attitude; positive energy with an ability to take feedback
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being able to juggle multiple seasons at one time
Curiosity to explore new ideas
Strong sense of style and color with a considered aesthetic with an eye toward detail
Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, and construction
Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop with an understanding of PLM; 3D design software knowledge a plus!
Confident presentation skills, capable of influencing an audience
Well-crafted communication and organizational skills, inclusive of tracking development deadlines
Ability to travel globally for factory visits, trend/tradeshows, design meetings, etc.
Minimum of 5+ years experience in apparel design; Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Fashion Design program
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs