Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Assistant Buyer will own the creation, management and execution of end to end sales, gross margin, and inventory strategies to hit Category sales plans. They will collaborate with the Merchandising team to ensure the seasonal, global assortment meets the Gap NA Online customer and business needs. The Assistant Buyer will also partner with the site merchandising team to drive customer engagement and deliver financial results.
The Assistant Buyer will assist in the creation, management and execution of end to end sales, gross margin and inventory strategies to hit Department or Division sales plans. This person will collaborate with a centralized Merchandising team (GM) to ensure the seasonal, global assortment meets the Gap Online customer and business needs. Assist in web management – managing product features, category sorts and seasonal flow strategies that drive customer engagement on site.
What you'll do
- Contribute to the development of pre-season Class and Department financial targets that align with the Division’s seasonal product strategy and include sales, gross margin and inventory.
- Responsible for the execution of markdown and promotional strategies.
- Identify gaps and opportunities in the assortment to influence the online assortment and develop long range plans
- Measure weekly, monthly, and quarterly sales and inventory performance of Categories; identify and communicate business opportunities and risks through this assessment.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with cross functional business partners.
Who you are
- 1+ years of experience in merchandise planning, retail planning or equivalent experience.
- You are proficient in Excel
- You are customer centric, results oriented, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- You are curious, resourceful, and solution oriented
- You understand the balance of art and science and using data to drive decisions.
- You balance long term strategies with short term tactical plans
- You thrive in a collaborative environment where decisions are shared, and teamwork is the norm
- You can effectively sell a point of view.
- Financial Acumen: The ability to use financial metrics to measure the performance of the business. Understand how financial levers impact results.
- Business Acumen: The ability to read and react to business results, understanding how decisions impact those results.
- Systems & Tools Acumen: The ability to quickly develop tool and system proficiency
- Ability to multi-task and organize and prioritize workload to meet deadlines
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs