About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
The Divisional Merchandise Manager develops, communicates and drives long-term merchandising strategies that meet or exceed financial goals and customer expectations. Motivates and coaches the Merchandising team to be customer-focused, innovative, fast and team-oriented in their work. Communicates the seasonal merchandising vision and ensures that short-term initiatives are aligned with long-term strategies. Models smart risk-taking in investment strategies. Acts as a corporate citizen through sharing best in practices and key learnings across Divisions and Brands. Is a role model and mentor within the company.
What you'll do
- Strategically lead the success of the Division through developing and driving a merchandising strategy that meets or exceeds the company’s financial goals. Prioritize cross-functional partnership and Merchandising team initiatives to meet customer expectations and ensure resource efficiency and effectiveness.
- Annually develop and gain approval for long-term Divisional strategies and prioritize annual initiatives to support Brand strategies and increase earnings.
- Ensure Department seasonal strategies tie to annual plan and provide an commercial & balanced assortment strategy for the store & online experience and support long-term Brand and Division goals.
- Ensure product assortments between all Departments within the Division are aligned and not duplicative.
- Provide clear direction for seasonal investments to ensure that smart risks are being taken in the appropriate Departments and that financial targets are met.
- In close partnership with IM counterpart, gain approval for the Division’s seasonal investments and quarterly financial plans.
- Set the Division’s price position within the competitive landscape.
- Capitalize on business opportunities and risks in-season through utilizing sales performance and marketplace information provided by the cross-functional team.
- Change future Division strategies in-season where needed and provide appropriate and timely direction to the cross-functional team in order to react quickly to customer and business trends.
- Provide clear and timely communication ensuring that the merchandising team is aligned towards a shared vision and a common goal. Communicate with conviction to diverse audiences. Be a good listener.
- Communicate long-term and seasonal Division strategies to key functional areas in order to focus the team towards a common goal.
- Actively listen to all members of the Merchandising team to ensure that innovative ideas are surfaced and acted upon, and that the team is empowered to own the business.
- Share information cross-brand and cross-channel where appropriate.
- Communicate the Division’s product development and marketing needs.
- Motivate, coach and inspire the Merchandising team to drive for results. Act as a positive and solution-oriented role model. Create and maintain a learning environment where the development of employees is a priority.
- Partner with employees to provide them with the appropriate resources and training for their development.
- Grow and challenge high potential employees through stretch assignments while acting quickly on employees whose work consistently falls below the company’s standards.
- Help lead the resource and succession planning activities for the Division.
- Identify talent and groom future leaders.
- Align resources appropriately in order to build an organization that is set up for success.
- Build strong working relationships with the Heads of each functional area within the Division as well as other Division leaders within the brand.
- Act as a role model and provide leadership within the Brand by motivating and inspiring team members to work cooperatively and to remain focused.
- Create and maintain an open and inclusive environment that recognizes employees based on the strength of their effort
Who you are
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Previous experience as Divisional Merchandise Manager is required.
- 7-10 years of retail buying experience.
- 4-6 years of management experience.
- Ability to transport, maneuver and visually evaluate merchandise.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Think strategically, conceptually and creatively –must have, and be able to articulate, a vision that is sharable by all key stakeholders.
- Strong Business Acumen; expert knowledge of financial measurements and how to impact them. Identify areas of the business that need attention and have the ability to analyze the details when appropriate.
- Demonstrate agility in leadership style and flexibility of approach; has the ability to think strategically (high-level) and tactically (to drive execution)
- Must be the market-facing expert for the business (competitive and customer). Must be consumer centric and lead the teams to make decisions based on our customers wants eeds
- Strong gut instinct and passion for product; take smart risks and be innovative.
- Passion for product – can translate trend to commercial big ideas, identify the next big thing
- Highly skilled collaborator who consistently finds the balance between shared purpose and healthy conflict; open-minded to and interested in others' opinions.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership, management and people development skills. Accurately assess employee strengths and developmental needs.
- Create and maintain a cooperative and motivating team environment that promotes high performance standards and attainment of goals.
- Perspective and “Global Thinking”; must consider the impact and implications on other components of the organization when making decisions.
- Strong influencing skills; must be able to effectively influence and negotiate with diverse audiences without damaging relationships.
- Formulate long-term goals and approve shorter-term tactical plans that are cost-effective, efficient and realistic.
- Defend and effectively sell a point of view to both peers and upper management.
- Analyze a problem skillfully, formulate a logical rationale for the decision and take action. Be solution-oriented.
- Direct subordinates effectively towards the accomplishment of tasks and goals. Delegate responsibility and decision-making appropriately to other personnel.
- Drive change when appropriate – be a change champion.
- Display managerial courage.
- Adapt easily to diverse audiences and environments.
- Possess strong presentation, listening, verbal and written communication skills.
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs