About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the Role
At Gap Inc., we are using technology as a competitive advantage to become the world’s #1 specialty apparel retailer. As part of GapTech, you will deliver globally scalable, cloud-based solutions, using agile software development, DevOps practices, and advanced technologies.
Our Tech and Digital team pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. We are made up of thousands of people across the globe who try fast, learn fast, and think big for our customers, communities, and the planet. On our team, you will be part of the technology engine that is driving innovative retail, e-commerce, and global enterprise technology for Gap Inc. and our brands. Our engineers and developers work together to create a seamless omni-channel experience powered through cloud-based platforms, services architecture, and open-source technologies. We help the company grow – whether it’s increasing our global footprint, operating a flawless holiday shopping season, or helping a customer get the product they need, when they need it. Our passion is what sets us apart – we’re not just here to execute, but also learn and grow and innovate on what’s next.
GapTech is the technology engine driving innovative retail, e-commerce, and global enterprise technology for Gap Inc. and our brands: Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta . We are a passionate team of technologists on an aggressive path to become the best technology organization in retail, operating with the agility and speed of a startup and the stability and resources of a Fortune 500 company. We push boundaries and challenge the status quo, with innovation at the core of everything we do. We set trends in both retail and in IT. We ship to customers in over 90 countries worldwide. We are passionate about creating and delivering quality software utilizing Agile and Dev/Ops Practices such as Automation, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration & Delivery, Pair Programming and story based iterative development utilizing cutting edge technologies.
This role is based out of the San Francisco, CA or Columbus, OH office. Currently, job duties are being performed remotely. However, the Company may in the future require you/this role to be in the office on a full-time or part-time basis. Pursuant to Gap Inc.’s policy, all employees who wish to enter Gap Inc.’s San Francisco Bay Area, New York, and Albuquerque office buildings will need to be vaccinated, unless an exemption from the vaccine requirement is approved due to an accommodation for a disability or for a sincerely held religious belief.
What You'll Do
- Works collaboratively with technical and business team members to develop and maintain business solutions following Agile development principles and practices
- Is influential and engages actively in building out a dynamic and productive development organization and continuously improving practices and methodology
- Designs and develops applications with an eye towards simplicity, reliability, manageability, scalability, extensibility, performance and re-use Provides technical expertise in the areas of architecture, design, implementation, and testing
- Sets and adheres to software coding and style guides to ensure consistency
- Participates in pairing and code reviews
- Support (2nd level) and troubleshoot problems with existing applications
- With a DevOps mindset, improve the overall quality of the product leveraging clean code, test automation, CI/CD practices and smart monitoring.
- Mentors and guides others who are still developing their skills
Who You Are
- A minimum of 8-10 years’ software development experience, 6 years of which are Java/J2ee specific, is required
- Self-motivated team player who excels in a collaborative environment
- Hands on experience with Agile methodologies and Test-Driven Development
- Strong sense of personal accountability; contributes beyond job role and responsibilities
- Excellent problem-solving skills; meticulous & methodical
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly and self-directed
- Proven ability to translate complex business requirements into simple software solutions
- Passionate about continuously improving organizational practices
- Thorough understanding of Object Oriented principles (Analysis and Design)
- Candidates must have a robust understanding of Java 11 and an in-depth understanding of other Java technologies, including Servlets, Struts/Tiles (not a must), JSP, JDBC, JMS, Spring
- Experience with messaging (e.g. MQ Series, JMS, etc.)
- Full lifecycle development experience on large projects, creating distributed and scalable business systems.
- Experience with Web Services (REST, SOAP, XML-RPC, etc.)
- Experience with relational databases and data access (JDBC/DAO/SQL) Oracle strongly preferred.
- Experience with PostgreSQL, Azure mysql, Cassandara. Optional: NoSQL databases, Cosmos DB, MongoDB
- Experience with events driven architecture, Kafka etc.
- Experience with deploying to Cloud platforms (Azure preferred)
Desired Qualifications include
- Logistics/Fulfillment/3PL experience is a plus.
- Experience with test automation frameworks
- Experience in developing and driving SOA strategies within large enterprises and deploying SOA implementations to production a big plus
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row. US Candidates – Non NYCPlease note that effective, June 30, 2022, Gap Inc. will no longer require any of its employees to wear face masks or require proof of COVID vaccination, unless required by local or state/provincial mandates or as part of Gap Inc’s quarantine guidelines after being exposed to or testing positive for COVID. Therefore, please disregard any language in any job posting that refers to Gap Inc.’s face mask and proof of vaccination policy as said policy is no longer effective.US Candidates – NYCBeginning December 27, 2021 the City of New York requires all employees in the City who work on site to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption from the vaccine requirement is approved due to an accommodation for a disability, a sincerely held religious belief or other legally protected basis (including status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offenses).
Browse all jobs