About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
As a leader in our User Experience Team at Gap Inc, you’ll experience and drive scale, impact and innovation. As one of the largest multi-branded global retailers, we’re amongst the handful of competitors who can – and must – be at the forefront of great digital experiences to thrive. We have a proprietary digital engine, integrated with a set of industry leading third parties, that helps drive a strong customer experience and is core to our customer strategy.
Gap, Inc. is looking for a UX Sr. Manager, Native Mobile Apps. In this role, you will be a team leader, strategic thinker, and have the opportunity to collaborate with product, engineering, brand leaders, and other cross-functional stakeholders to define and execute a future vision for native mobile apps across Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Athleta. You will be responsible for the end-to-end in-app experience for both iOS and Android platforms, as well as how the app shows up in omnichannel store settings.
You will be a people manager to a design team dedicated to Native Mobile Apps, and have responsibility to mentor, inspire and grow your staff by setting clear expectations, removing obstacles and creating an atmosphere that fosters innovative thinking.
As a Sr. Manager you will ensure the right level of planning and high quality production is executed amongst various product teams. You’ll use strong communication, negotiation, and presentation skills as you partner closely with other designers, UX researchers, and product management and engineering leadership, to ensure an outstanding, holistic user experience is being taken into account.
What you'll do
- Lead exploration of new strategic opportunities and collaborate cross-functionally to define a holistic end-to-end user experience across both iOS and Android platforms that takes into account physical touchpoints as well as digital interactions. Help us reimagine what a retail mobile app can be and do for our customers.
- Armed with a deep and evolving understanding of the competitive landscape for both ecommerce and mobile app trends, lead the pack in cutting-edge app design, leapfrogging competition and setting an industry example for innovation amongst retailers in the native mobile app space.
- Facilitate workshops and design sprints with project teams and stakeholders to explore problem spaces, identify new opportunities and create alignment.
- Collaborate closely with Product Management to influence roadmaps and strategic decisions. Involve a wider circle of people, who are not part of your formal team, in order to tap capabilities or perspectives that will enable better results.
- Collaborate with designers on other tracks, including cohorts in responsive web, stores, and our internal Stitch Design System team, to facilitate parity of experience across channels where necessary, and differentiate app experiences strategically when business cases arise.
- Use diplomacy when considering feedback regardless of department/positionelationship and communicate relevant information back to the team.
- Manage 3-4 UX designers, developing their skills to support business needs and individual career aspirations. Develop talent through coaching and mentoring and provide support and guidance to the broader UX design team.
Who you are
- You have a minimum of 8 years of professional UX Design experience.
- You have a minimum of 3 years in native mobile app design.
- You have led a team of strong designers; developing people and nourishing their strengths is a key talent of yours.
- You live and breathe lean design methodology, design thinking and experimentation, and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty in design files every so often.
- People regularly come to you for design direction and inspiration.
- You have a passion for process, planning, and order; product or project management experience is a plus.
- You demonstrate that you deeply care for the craft and has an impeccable attention for details; while distilling the design components and patterns that will compose the system.
- You know how to see the forest for the trees; you are flexible to be able to dart into the details when needed, yet also understand how they fits into a larger strategic picture.
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.