For the past 22 years, we’ve committed ourselves and our brand to a single aim: to empower all women and girls. Inspiration. Collaboration. Connection. Inclusivity. It’s what we do best, and we’re on the hunt for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
We use business as a force for good by putting people and the planet right up there with profit, which is why Athleta is a certified B Corp. Ready to make a move? Join us. Because we know that alone we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable.
About the role
The Surface Developer is responsible for development of print and novelty surface techniques from initial concept to commercialization. As a part of the Fabric R+D team, this position will be responsible collaborating with our mill partners to develop new techniques, graphics and prints. This role will work cross functionally to ensure on time delivery and development according to the defined product creation milestones. This role is critical to enable execution of our brand quality standards, performance, and sustainability criteria.
What you'll do
- Manage technique from inception through to artwork handover for development and bulk for Women’s and Girls product
- Advise execution guidelines for garment dye, graphic and print technique by fabric, vendor capabilities and costing to our cross functional partners
- Reviews and comments on strike offs for color accuracy and material execution, for all relevant product areas
- Research and drive new development techniques on existing fabric bases in collaboration with internal team on a long-lead pipeline for the Athleta customer
- Follows market trends, new technology and consumer preferences and implement based on brand strategies
- Manages submit board with strike off comments as well as on-site tools
- Collaborates with cross-functional partners and vendors to ensure all deadlines and deliverables are met based on the pipeline
- Proactively escalates and communicates when issues are identified and presents solutions to resolve
Who you are
- Strong knowledge of fabric & apparel printing techniques and garment dye methods
- Base knowledge of fabric testing is preferred
- Excellent time management skills, and ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong detail orientation, project management and prioritization skills
- Able to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
- Ability to influence + collaborate with cross functional partners
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Materials/Textile Design or equivalent experience in the apparel industry
- 3-5+ years professional experience in apparel, print or material development; basic knowledge garment production is preferred
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, PLM, Microsoft applications is required
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Based in San Francisco, hybrid model of on-site will be required
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs