Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Director of Product Development manages the product line creation by partnering cross-functionally to develop, communicate, and execute to design aesthetic, merchandise strategies and financial targets. You will work closely with local teams in New York as well as Sourcing and Product Development partners in Asia to deliver on product design and brand aesthetic while effectively managing average unit cost.
What you'll do
Team lead for maintaining and driving the denim operating model and calendar for all divisions inclusive of Women’s Men’s and Kids & Baby
Lead and Manage fabric, wash and product development teams that align with global sourcing and vendor strategies
Must possess and leverage denim technical knowledge and drive communication between brand teams and our Asia based product teams to ensure strategic business alignment and optimal responsiveness
Provide key insights on merchandising and design-driven product decisions based on category or vendor strategies
Understand divisional and cross-functional goals in order to develop supporting strategies while managing development metrics set for global brand
Drive responsive strategies by working cross-functionally to identify fabrics and programs for optimal speed to market
Partner with fabric and wash team by developing product that meets aesthetic, quality and cost expectations while pushing innovation and sustainability efforts.
Who you are
- Global Product Development significant experience in driving global product development and understands design, merchandising, and vendor/category management
- Problem Solver- can proactively solve problems and effectively manage multiple challenges.
- Global Business Acumen- experience executing on multi-year operational goals, incorporating knowledge of production trade regulations, testing protocol, product integrity, production cycle timeline, fabric and garment construction.
- Team Leadership- has successfully led large cross-category, cross-functional, global teams (direct and dotted line reporting relationships)
- Collaboration- Proven ability influencing and making decisions cross-functionally in a matrix environment where speed and cultural sensitivity is crucial.
- Personal Leadership- demonstrated executive presence, presentation, influencing, and collaboration across a leadership team.
- Change Leadership- experience leading with and without authority to influence others and drive decision-making
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs