For the past 22 years, we’ve committed ourselves and our brand to a single aim: to empower all women and girls. Inspiration. Collaboration. Connection. Inclusivity. It’s what we do best, and we’re on the hunt for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
We use business as a force for good by putting people and the planet right up there with profit, which is why Athleta is a certified B Corp. Ready to make a move? Join us. Because we know that alone we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable.
About the role
The Head of Strategy and Business Development is an active member of the senior leadership team, working closely with the Athleta CEO and entire leadership team to deliver the long-term strategic future direction of Athleta. This person is a key leader in strategic change initiatives to drive growth, develop corporate strategy and drive new business development opportunities. This role brings together end to end strategies across brands and functions, formulates all aspects of corporate strategy from market & competitor research, planning, initiative management and business development activities. This leader manages a sizable strategy team and reports to the SVP of Strategy, Finance and Inventory Management for Athleta. Works collaboratively with the Gap Inc. strategic growth and corporate strategy teams to ensure that brand and functional strategies ladder and are executed.
What you'll do
- Develops long-range business strategy at the enterprise level
- Articulates clear and compelling storylines that drive action
- Weaves enterprise agenda into divisional priorities and plans; Structures and monitors the work of multiple groups and projects
- Leads annual the annual strategic planning process and work in partnership and as a trusted thought leader with the brand and function leaders to inform and influence business strategies (e.g., pricing, brand architecture, infrastructure, channels, new markets)
- Develops and leads growth efforts; Identifies and vets new business opportunities for Athleta and architects’ alliances/investments/acquisitions
- Fueled by talent development, learning, and customer curiosity
Who you are
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills; ability to frame new, ambiguous and complex issues; able to generate insight through rigorous analysis
- Demonstrated thought-partnership with senior executives, including Brand President and Board of Directors; Strong communications and presentation skills
- Strong leadership abilities, including the ability to develop talent and build a high performing team; Strong influence skills and ability to work successfully with peers; a true team player
- Comfort in a high-growth business environment, including business model innovation, operating systems development, and organizational effectiveness
- Consistent customer and business curiosity; experience with business opportunity development including competitive and market research, and progressive and innovative consumer insights efforts
- Strategy consulting and corporate strategy experience required with deep knowledge of apparel, retail, customer and digital preferred (or commensurate experience in consulting, corporate finance and investment banking)
- Bachelor’s degree required and MBA preferred; Demonstrated success in advancing and growing businesses
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs