About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
As a member of our central User Experience Team at Gap, Inc., you’ll design for innovation at scale, shaping the way customers engage with our portfolio of global brands. Now more than ever, a great digital experience is required to thrive, and our proprietary digital engine – integrated with a set of industry-leading third parties – is core to delivering on our customer-first strategy.
Gap, Inc. is looking for a UX Design Manager, Design Systems, to oversee the growth of our mature, multi-brand, multi-platform design system, Stitch. You and your team will play a crucial role in accelerating speed to market and driving consistency, usability, and accessibility across our consumer- and associate-facing digital platforms, while enabling the brand expressive, best-in-class experiences our customers expect.
In this role, you will leverage your systems-mindset and collaborative leadership style to direct a team in identifying, documenting, building and socializing re-usable components and living styles, ensuring branded and cross-brand design libraries come to life in code via dedicated development teams. You will work with cross-functional partners in design, product, technology, and business to improve the holistic Omni user experience across Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Athleta.
As the owner of Stitch Design System, you will diplomatically but enthusiastically evangelize its mission, processes, and core deliverables (including libraries, style guides, UI kits, and guidelines) to other groups, including brand leaders, product managers, web developers and technology partners, driving adoption and understanding through clear communication and presentation of shared value.
What you'll do
- Drive the vision, product management, and/or project management of a design system of visual style, UI components, and other design concerns.
- Execute on a holistic end-to-end user experience vision across multiple platforms.
- Advocate for and execute user-centered design/lean UX process for interaction design at throughout the product development process.
- Evangelize new interface guidelines and design patterns throughout Gap Inc brands.
- Collaborate with engineering leadership, product management, web content development, and brand ops teams.
- Actively participate and assist implementation and continue design work as needed through release and beyond.
- Be a member of workshops and design sprints with project teams and stakeholders to explore problem spaces, identify new opportunities and create alignment.
- Collaborate closely with product management teams, developers, and brand operations to design user requirements.
Who you are
- You have 8-10 years of professional UX Design experience, including design systems.
- You have 2-5 years of experience managing a team of UX designers and/or developers.
- Collaboration is a way of being for you, you naturally work well with cross-functional team and are a known advocate for design and partnership.
- You live and breathe lean design methodology, design thinking and experimentation.
- You enjoy atomic design, systems thinking, and service design and can create architecture maps and process flows in your sleep.
- You demonstrate that you deeply care for the craft and have impeccable attention for details while distilling the design components and patterns to compose a system.
- You are looking to grow your career in a supportive organization and champion the user experience in everything you do.
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.