About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc. requires a dynamic and experienced employment attorney to join our Employment Law team as Counsel, primarily providing employment law support to our Logistics organization. This role will be based remotely in either Ohio or Tennessee with the expectation that the candidate will have the ability to work periodically from our Groveport, Ohio Fulfillment Center or our Southern Distribution Center in Gallatin, Tennessee. This role is responsible for providing strategic legal advice and technical expertise to Human Resources, management, and other cross-functional stakeholders on a broad range of complex employment matters and employment law trends across North America, including wage and hour issues, contingent workforce matters, employment benefits and compensation programs, leaves of absence and accommodations, as well as other substantive employment law areas. This role has the opportunity to advise on international employment matters commensurate with experience.
What you'll do
- Proactively identify and assess potential legal and/or reputational risk in support of business partners both in and outside of the United States, and recommend practical, creative solutions that balance legal risk with business impact.
- Provide subject matter advice and guidance on a variety of employment law matters, such as the development and implementation of employee policies, organizational restructures, leaves of absence and accommodations, pre-employment practices including FCRA compliance and background screening, and other HR practices.
- Monitor legislation, regulations, case law and government enforcement activities relating to the above substantive legal areas, and provide proactive, strategic advice within the employment law group and to relevant business partners.
- Support and collaborate with cross-functional business partners on complex legal matters and special projects to drive and sustain employment law compliance and further the long-term interests of the Company.
- Model and work with business partners across the company to ensure compliance with Gap Inc.’s Code of Business Conduct.
Who you are
- Juris Doctor or LLM from an accredited law school. Licensed to practice law in the U.S.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of employment law and related litigation experience, preferably in a law firm or in-house corporate legal environment.
- Strong, persuasive written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to effectively and concisely communicate to and influence senior-level executives and business leaders.
- Proven ability to take ownership of projects and solutions, and drive to successful and timely completion.
- Desire and ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Able to conceptualize and articulate pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions to complex legal and business challenges. Adept at and comfortable with making complex riskeward assessments.
- Demonstrated commitment to integrity, respect, ethical conduct, and open-mindedness.
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs