About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
Every summer, we invite talented rising seniors to join us for a challenging, hands-on experience in the retail industry. The ten-week Summer Intern Program is based in San Francisco.
The Internship Program combines meaningful work experiences with exposure to different areas of our business to give interns a unique opportunity to expand their knowledge of the retail industry and determine whether they would like to pursue a career at Gap Inc. after graduation. As an intern, you will get to meet our senior executives and leaders in Inventory Management. You will work on impactful projects and you will have the opportunity to present to senior management. We invite you to participate in events, such as hanging out at a baseball game, happy hours, local excursions, volunteering in the community, etc.
Our Inventory Management Interns will gain exposure in the development, execution and communication of merchandise financial plans and strategies that support the merchandising, marketing, and financial objectives of a division/department. Inventory Management Interns will be expected to conduct benchmarking and/or marketplace analysis, so we are looking for candidates who have a strong self-starter attitude and can navigate through raw data. You will also work closely with other Inventory Management team members and partners to support, analyze and pilot various initiatives. Through this experience, you will gain familiarity with brand Inventory Management teams to develop skills necessary to effectively influence business and investment decisions.
What you'll do
- Support Inventory Management teams in managing the financial success of a division/department or class by meeting sales, gross margin and inventory productivity goals throughout the summer
- Analyze historical data and current trends. Identify risks and opportunities by division/department or class and solicit ideas for issue resolution
- Participate in formulation of pre-season strategy with merchant and planner plans by department, classes and/or style
- Partner with Inventory Planner in creating pre-season financial sales and inventory plans by department, classes and/or style
- Recap and review actual sales performance weekly/monthly to plan
- Partner with planner to identify risks/opportunities and develop action plans to achieve financial goals
Who you are
Undergraduate degree in progress with a concentration in finance, accounting, economics supply chain or business - accepting students that graduate in December 2021 and Spring 2022
Strong analytical, research and problem-solving abilities
Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and ability to learn technical applications and processes quickly
Ability to understand or quickly grasp customer priorities and terminology
Self-starter attitude and able to navigate through raw data to identify a pattern
Able to organize, prioritize and manage time
Capable of operating with little supervision
Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
Effective oral and written communication skills
Able to organize, prioritize and manage time
Customer-service & results oriented
Excellent attention to detail
Previous retail experience is a plus
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs