About Banana Republic
Banana Republic was founded with an explorer’s spirit and a desire to venture to new places, beyond the boundaries of the everyday. Our clothing is designed for a life with no boundaries.
We travel near and far in search of the finest materials and fabric innovations to infuse style with substance, because we believe that what you wear should open a world of possibilities. And the people that make up Banana Republic share the same qualities as our brand: curious, connected, undaunted by boundaries. Sound like you? Join us for the adventure of what’s next.
About the role
With minimal supervision and high-level creative direction, the Senior Designer is responsible for designing and delivering Men’s & Women’s Accessories including bags, belts and shoes. You will be a category expert recommending new product categories and business strategies and influencing key stakeholders to ensure big ideas translate from concept to implementation. The successful candidate must be adaptable and skilled across all product categories, possess a high level of accountability and have the ability to face challenges head on. A strong sense of teamwork and cross-functional involvement are key, along with flexibility to shift with business needs in a fluid and ever-changing Macro trend environment.
What you'll do
- Research trend in magazines and on-line as well as travelling for inspiration shopping.
- Understand the market and translate appropriate trends into current Brand filters.
- Manage and communicate directly with cross-functional teams, 3rd party vendors and/or directly with factories to design and develop product.
- Translate seasonal concepts into key items, styles, and ensures roadmap requirements are met.
- Select raw materials, color, print/pattern story, details and trims. May develop fabric and raw materials.
- Make style-based grow/maintain/decline recommendations for specific product categories based on trend and historical business performance.
- Present key items and styles at alignment meeting to the leadership team. Must be able to prepare a focused & compelling digital presentation.
- Partner with merchandising and production to select styles for sampling, set up booth sets by shop by flow, finalize product details, and complete fittings.
- Demonstrate the highest taste level and the ability to edit to a tight development ratio, the most compelling and saleable product.
- Ensure sample development is kept within agreed upon development ratios. Adhere to product development deadlines.
- Create techpacks, digital sketches & possibly BOMS in PLM.
- Work with factories in–country to develop samples for adoption.
- Approve styles, including fabrication, construction, color, details, trims and fit.
- Approve fit and functionality of all product to ensure design integrity.
- Familiar with best and worst sellers across categories and adjusts development accordingly. Can connect sales results to see overarching themes in the business.
- Successfully deliver additional volume through a reinvention or introduction of new categories or classifications.
- Demonstrate full supervisory and leadership responsibilities, contributing to the motivation/development of team through professional leadership.
- Hire, mentor, and develop lower-level designers. Provide work direction to freelancers and lower level designers.
Who you are
- College degree in Fashion Design or related field
- Eight to ten years design experience
- Experience working with cross-functional partners concerning design concepts, aesthetics, production, construction issues required.
- Mass retail experienced preferred
- Travel – 20% - 25% domestic and international may be required
- Defined aesthetic point-of-view
- Strong design and color sense
- Knowledge of color theory
- Computer skills; proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop
- Proficient in Illustration
- In-depth knowledge of silhouettes, fabrication, color ways, sewing techniques, graphics and trim.
- Expert level of understanding of leather, fabric, trims and hardlines accessories (bags, belts, shoes) construction.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret vintage and high fashion trends for a mass market, to evolve a big idea, and to design a cohesive collection
- Knowledge of fit, functionality, performance, and standard measurements
- Ability to apply and consolidate specialist skills and knowledge to lead and influence others
- Possess a working knowledge of other departments/categories and demonstrated ability to manage and balance conflicting priorities
- Conversant with the basics of merchandising and retail management
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Banana Republic
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs