With normal routines being uprooted, and people staying at home, working from home, and even teaching from home, our customers’ needs for apparel are changing, too. That’s why we reached out to survey our customers to see what has changed in their lives and how they’re thinking about shopping differently. Of the customers we surveyed*, 63% are now working from home, up from 24% who did regularly just a few weeks ago, and they’re looking for comfort. 94% of survey respondents said they are dressing casually each day now, with 30% just dressing business on top and casual on the bottom for video meetings. And for the ultimate cozy -- almost a third said they are wearing pajamas all day!
This new way of working means there are new trends in their shopping patterns:
- No surprise here, at Old Navy the top selling categories online for the last few weeks have been Sleep, Fleece and Active. Joggers are a current favorite with French Terry Cinched-Hem Joggers nearly sold out.
- Looking for some fun tops? Old Navy’s tie-dye and camo prints are the top sellers with crew neck sweatshirts. And men are loving a fun graphic tee, the “Rad Dad” tee and our new spring break inspired graphic tank are the most popular.
- In GapBody, the best-selling lounge styles have been driven by bottoms made from super soft, jersey knit fabrication, such as the True Sleep Modal, Dreamwell and Everyday Sleep Poplin.
- Kids want to be cozy too: parents have been snatching up new PJs at GapKids, with sets from Toy Story and Disney Mickey Mouse being most popular.
- The Athleta customer has always loved joggers to unwind in, but her favorite styles are quickly becoming the Camo Farallon Jogger and the Salutation Jogger in our buttery soft Powervita fabric, which is almost sold out!
- Whether streaming workouts online at home or cozying up on the couch, Old Navy’s classic black high rise yoga pant is a favorite, with over 10,000 Powersoft bottoms being sold each week.
- At GapFit, sport styles have had a huge uptick as she is looking to get and stay in shape, while being cozy at the same time. Bottoms, such as joggers and leggings, have been contributing to half of GapFit sales!
- Athleta customers are loving Athleta’s #homebodies Power Hour workouts and content geared for fitness from home. Two of her favorite workout tights are the Salutation Stash Pocket 2.0 for restorative, low impact classes like yoga or meditation, and the Ultimate Stash Pocket 7/8 Tight in Supersonic for cardio or higher intensity workouts.
- Banana Republic is answering the call for customers who want to still look professional on those video calls. Men’s and Women’s knit tops are the top performing categories, with Men’s polos trending.
- Other customers are looking for a little pick-me-up: women’s accessories, like jewelry, are one of Banana Republic’s trending categories for those looking for a little ‘sparkle’ for a virtual meeting (or happy hour).
A lot of these popular styles are selling quickly, so head to www.oldnavy.com, www.gap.com, www.athleta.com and www.bananarepublic.com to stock up!
*Consumer survey conducted by Gap Inc. over the last few weeks.