September 12, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO – September 12, 2012 – Gap Inc. executives and employees will join nonprofit organizations at a gathering this Thursday, September 13, at the San Francisco headquarters to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Gap Foundation.
“We’re proud to celebrate 35 years of Gap Inc. employees fulfilling the promise made by Doris and Don Fisher to ‘do more than sell clothes,’” said Bobbi Silten, President of Gap Foundation. “It’s an exciting milestone for everyone involved with the company.”
Doris and Don Fisher started the Gap Foundation in 1977 to support the communities where Gap Inc. does business. The company supports nonprofit organizations with a focus on helping underserved youth in developed countries explore careers and build job skills, and women in developing countries build critical life and work skills.
To honor the milestone, California Governor Jerry Brown declared September 13 Gap Foundation Day. “Gap Foundation has created opportunities for young people and women across the globe,” Brown said in his proclamation. “I offer my congratulations to Gap Inc. and its employees for making a difference in our communities around the world and their commitment to ‘Be what’s possible.’”
Gap Inc. has achieved many milestones in social responsibility, including:
- Recipient of 2012 California Business Volunteer Program of the Year.
- Ranked as one of Forbes 20 most responsible companies in the U.S.
- Ranked 7th among specialty retailers in the list of Fortune Magazine’s World's Most Admired Companies.
- Awarded the 2010 Financial Times Justmeans Social Innovation award for "Most Strategic Philanthropy Program" for the P.A.C.E. program.
- Achieved 100 percent on The Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index for seven years in a row.
- Received an Excellence in Greenhouse Gas Management Goal Setting Certificate from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Gap Inc. Co-Founder Doris Fisher and Gap Inc. Chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy will be among those in attendance at the afternoon’s event. San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee will also attend the celebration.
About Gap Inc.
Gap Inc. is a leading global specialty retailer offering clothing, accessories and personal care products for men, women, children and babies under the Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Piperlime and Athleta brands. For more than 40 years, Gap Inc. has supported communities where we live and work through grants, in-kind donations, community outreach and employee volunteer programs. Gap Inc. strives to make a long-term impact in communities by focusing on creating opportunities for underserved youth and women through innovative social solutions. For more information on Gap Inc. community investment, please visit www.bewhatspossible.com.