About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the Role
The Data and Insights organization at the Gap is transforming how data is used for insights and decisioning across our portfolio of brands. A key enabler to this is the research, development and evangelization of modern designs, technology and process – spanning cloud data platforms, federated data engineering, effective governance, and MLOps among others.
We are looking for an energetic and passionate Staff Engineer to help execute this transformation. This role will help design, developand support streaming tools/libraries and data products/tables using principles of TDD, CI/CD and DevSecOps.
What You'll Do
- Mentor junior engineers - help understand the tech stack and rationale, development processes, designs and big picture. Guide execution and help unblock as needed.
- Work collaboratively with technical team members to develop, deploy and operate derived data products/tables. These are currently built using headless pipelines, spark stream processing, inline and batch data qualification, persisted to a data lake.
- Develop and/or enhance common frameworks for data engineering acceleration, inline and batch data quality checks, remediation runbooks, effective dataops.
- Understand and evangelize security, governance and compliance standards. Build technical and process frameworks for enablement and enforcement.
- Evangelize and enforce common development and code quality frameworks and practices such as style guides, code coverage, continuous integration, peer reviews and pair programming.
- Work with leads and architects to estimate work, propose/prototype solutions and technologies, own/provide feedback on technical designs and execute.
- Help curate, prioritize and execute continuous improvement and technical debt backlogs.
Who You Are
- 8 or more years of active data engineering experience – developing, deploying and supporting data pipelines and data products/tables at scale.
- 5 or more years of software development experience, preferably in python – including code organization and craftsmanship, robust unit and integration testing, Git driven CI/CD to production.
- 3 or more years of experience developing and deploying data processing tasks using pySpark and SparkSQL at scale and in production. Solid understanding of Spark, preferably Databricks Spark and Apache Delta Lake.
- Proven experience leveraging public cloud data and analytics services (Azure, AWS or GCP).
- Nice to have: Admin or super-user experience with data science workbenches, MLOps tools and/or PowerBI.
- Traditional data warehouse or ETL experience is not required - but context is a plus.
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs