About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The Data Science Team at Gap Inc. is a research team that applies techniques from operations research and machine learning to drive business benefits for Gap Inc. and its brands. The team’s focus is creating analytical capabilities to support product operations at Gap Inc.
During your internship you’ll have the opportunity to specialize in either data science or data engineering. Areas of expertise include: customer analytics, demand forecasting, inventory replenishment, inventory and supply chain optimization, product testing, flexible inventory and supply chain initiatives.
What you'll do
Work alongside our Digital Data & Analytics team and fellow interns on production level projects
Use the latest tools, and technologies in the field- harnessing vast pools of information available in our brands’ data systems
Develop data product tools, such as dashboards and mapping tools
Apply analytical and data science methods (regression, clustering, classification, text analysis) to real world datasets to solve ongoing business problems
Present results of your project to team members, business partners, and Gap executives
Meet Sr. Data Scientists, advanced analytics experts, and Product Managers to understand the role that analytics play in a 16 billion-dollar global organization.
Located in San Francisco with the possibility for remote
Who you are
- Accepting students that graduate in December 2022 through Spring 2023.
- Undergraduate student pursuing a degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Management Information Systems, Information Systems, Information Technology, Integrated Systems Engineering, or related degree.
- Statistical and data analysis skills
- Strong knowledge in one or more of the following: SQL, Python, SAS, or R. Combinations of these skills are very useful.
- Data visualization using tools, such as Tableau or D3
- Basic statistical modeling skills (regression, logistic regression, clustering)
- An ability to think abstractly and work cross functionally
- Strong communication and presentation skills
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs