About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Every summer, we invite talented rising seniors to join us for a challenging, hands-on experience in the retail industry. The ten-week Summer Intern Program is based in San Francisco and New York.
The Internship Program combines meaningful work experiences with exposure to different areas of our business to give interns a unique opportunity to expand their knowledge of the retail industry and determine whether they would like to pursue a career at Gap Inc. after graduation. As an intern, you will get to meet our senior executives and leaders in Inventory Management. You will work on impactful projects and you will have the opportunity to present to senior management. We invite you to participate in events, such as hanging out at a baseball game, happy hours, local excursions, volunteering in the community, etc.
Our Inventory Management Interns will gain exposure in the development, execution and communication of merchandise financial plans and strategies that support the merchandising, marketing, and financial objectives of a division/department. Inventory Management Interns will be expected to conduct benchmarking and/or marketplace analysis, so we are looking for candidates who have a strong self-starter attitude and can navigate through raw data. You will also work closely with other Inventory Management team members and partners to support, analyze and pilot various initiatives. Through this experience, you will gain familiarity with brand Inventory Management teams to develop skills necessary to effectively influence business and investment decisions.
What you'll do
- Support Inventory Management teams in managing the financial success of a division/department or class by meeting sales, gross margin and inventory productivity goals throughout the summer
- Analyze historical data and current trends. Identify risks and opportunities by division/department or class and solicit ideas for issue resolution
- Participate in formulation of pre-season strategy with merchant and planner plans by department, classes and/or style
- Partner with Inventory Planner in creating pre-season financial sales and inventory plans by department, classes and/or style
- Recap and review actual sales performance weekly/monthly to plan
- Partner with planner to identify risks/opportunities and develop action plans to achieve financial goals
Who you are
Undergraduate degree in progress with a concentration in finance, accounting, economics supply chain or business - accepting students that graduate in December 2022 and Spring 2023
Strong analytical, research and problem-solving abilities to identify patterns, build strategy & drive results
Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and ability to learn technical applications, terminology, and processes quickly
Attention to detail and an ability to work with raw data to understand customer priorities
Self-starter attitude with an ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
Strong intellectual curiosity & willingness to learn
Effective oral and written communication skills
Passion to work in the retail industry, previous retail experience is a plus
Please note that it is important that you use the same email address throughout our process - from applying to the role to taking the online assessment.
Upload your resume in PDF format ('Last name/First Name Resume')
This role may require you to be in the office on a full-time or occasional basis. Pursuant to Gap Inc.’s policy, all employees who enter Gap Inc.’s San Francisco, New York, and Albuquerque office buildings after September 7, 2021 will need to be vaccinated, unless an exemption from the vaccine requirement due to an accommodation for a disability or for a sincerely held religious belief is approved.
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs