About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
What you'll do
- Works with Director and Vice President to help set the overall direction in the conceptual development of the Newborn boy and Layette lines.
- Fully responsible for managing direct reports in all aspects of entire product design process, including market and trend research, trend ideation, partnering with wider design org on key styles and details, designing, sketching, specing and fit.
- Works with manager to selects, train, motivate and evaluate direct reports. Works to incorporate company values in management style and sets a positive example for the team.
- Responsible for understanding brand creative direction and helping to bring that direction to life through product and with the team.
- Responsible for ensuring that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy; interprets brand concepts and uses brand filters to interpret fashion trends as they relate to market demands and business strategy.
- Ensures consistency of trend and brand filters between differing businesses (e.g., newborn, toddler, etc.) by partnering closely with director and with peers.
- In conjunction with merchandising partners and design leadership, responsible for ideating and working together to determine strategic direction of business; accountable for growing respective categories, and seeking opportunities to positively affect the division from a financial perspective.
- Oversees selection of fabric and trim for their product categories, and works to build strategic long range fabric choices that build on company sustainability goals.
- Work with design management to help identify opportunities for process improvement and work with leadership to find ways to execute those improvements.
- Provide fit direction as it pertains to trend. Partners with tech design team on regular fittings.
- Work with product development team to ensure in-season product execution is meeting standards. Partner with PD team pre-season to navigate cost and supply chain parameters during the design stage.
Who you are
- In-depth knowledge of design techniques and processes
- 7-10 years of design experience
- Minimum 3 years of management experience
- Extensive fit and garment construction knowledge
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Ability to understand overall creative tone set by leadership and lead creative design process for your team using the brand direction.
- Excellent sense of style and color
- Passionate about childrenswear and overall fashion trend
- Curious and eager with a growth mindset
- Excellent presentation and negotiation skills
- BA in Fashion Design or Equivalent
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs