About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
The Strategy and Innovation team drives profitable growth and operational performance for Old Navy through the identification, development and execution of long-term strategies and initiatives.
The team is seeking an experienced senior level professional that is passionate about innovation, is an expert in human-centered design methodologies and has demonstrated the ability to design solutions that drive strategic impact.
As a visionary for what is possible, the Director of Innovation & Strategy will be responsible for developing and integrating customer-centric innovation methodologies to solve diverse business opportunities. They work cross functionally and help business leaders identify opportunities, and to think beyond traditional approaches to solving problems. They deeply understand the industry and key business drivers and use their expertise in innovation and disruption to identify and build the future.
What you'll do
- Develops innovation capability through establishing a vision, strategy and roadmap to integrate human-centered design practices throughout the organization
- Builds strong relationships across the organization and establish effective ways of working at all organization levels
- Establishes and champions an innovation culture within the organization
- Establishes core principles related to mindset and methods to support an innovation community of practice
- Designs and develops processes to support an integrated approach to innovation through various product and service development cycles
- Analyzes needs and identifies projects where the integration of design thinking will support high impact
- Utilizes expertise to guide partners on identifying strategic drivers and decision making to best serve customers
- Leads the discovery, design, and prototyping of solutions to accelerate business growth and performance across an array of business functions and priorities
- Builds comprehensive solutions to maximize customer value through creative and proactive approaches
- Identifies area of opportunity to improve the interaction and engagement between the customer and organization at various connection points
- Translates human behavior into practical solutions to drive strategic performance
- Evaluates existing ways of working and identifies opportunities for greater integration of innovation practices across cross functional teams
- Establishes best in industry approaches to identify opportunities for diverse business opportunities
- Engage with strategy and PMO to ensure project enablement through establishing the future vision and narrative of new initiatives
- Establishes measurement plans to assess a culture of innovation and drives action plans to improve innovation capability
Who you are
- 10+ years of innovation and strategy experience, which resulted in improved performance in a global business
- Demonstrated expertise in Human Centered Design and Design Thinking
- Management consulting and retail and/or consumer experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability in leading and influencing change, while having earned the respect of leaders at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to shape organizational culture and ways of working to build innovation capability
- Demonstrated ability to shape and influence the strategic agenda and priorities for a global business
- Track record as an outstanding problem-solver and strategic thinker
- Able to work in and bring structure to ambiguous environments
- Able to structure complex, cross-functionally dependent problems and design approaches to identify the “answer” and ensure implementation
- Able to synthesize disperse information into effective strategies and innovative insights, translating complex ideas into simple, actionable recommendations
- Excellent retail business acumen
- Demonstrated understanding of retail and consumer-facing businesses
- Able to assess impact of decisions on overall business
- On-line and international experience a plus
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs