About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
As a member of the Employee & Labor Relations Leadership team, this role has Global oversight for Labor Relations to maintain a positive employee relations environment, inclusive of high employee engagement and performance. Additionally, this role has oversight for Employee Relations for all brands, distribution centers, and HQ in Canada and leads Employee Relations efforts with Athleta and Logistics in the US. Incumbent will help develop and implement proactive employee relations management strategies that support business partners’ business goals. Role will help ensure business partners comply with employment law and Code of Business Conduct obligations and direct employment investigations, complaint resolution, and counsel and assess legal risk in high profile and high-risk employee relations situations:
-Provide resources, guidance, and consistent resolution when complex, high-risk employee issues arise (i.e., discrimination, sexual harassment, workplace violence) that limits the Company’s exposure to legal liability and is consistent with the Company’s employee relations philosophy;
-Assess employee impact on key division or enterprise-wide business proposals and proposed reorganizations; manage severance administration and policy guidance as appropriate for business partners ;
-Support strategic goal setting, metrics reporting, trends analysis and budget planning;
-Manage and support organization through high impact/crisis events;
-Lead staff of professional ER and HR managers, as applicable.
This role provides strategic advice and consultation to senior leadership and internal business partners regarding a full spectrum of labor relations matters:
-Develop/expand, implement, and manage a Gap Inc. global labor relations strategy and approach that aligns with the company’s Business and HR priorities;
-Establish and implement best practice strategies that promote employee engagement and team building that support Company values and business goals
-Counsel business partners on pro-active measures to ensure maintenance of a positive employee relations environment and compliance with applicable labor and employment regulations;
-Develop education and conduct training on proactive employee and labor relations, identifying and addressing organizational vulnerabilities;
-Serve as internal consultant/point person to address labor relations issues that arise.
What you'll do
- Develop and manage LR strategy ensuring alignment across cross-functional partners including HR, Legal, Supply Chain, Sustainability, Communications, and Public Affairs
- Work closely with ER Managers, HRGs and other BPs to ensure overall company objectives remain consistent with delivering an elevated employee experience
- Conduct ER audits to identify unhealthy work environments & partner with Business to address
- Design and deliver proactive ER training programs
- Partner with L&D and Talent Management to ensure principles of maintaining a great work environment are embedded into key training and leadership programs
- Partner with the ER/LR team and key BPs to coordinate response to employee engagement and satisfaction results
- Monitor LR trends, law developments/legislative updates; communicate to BPs and respond appropriately; implement policy and remedial actions
Who you are
- Significant experience as a Labor Relations and ER Professional/HR Generalist or other comparable experience in compliance relating to employment law. Experience in complex LR issue management required
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, and statutes that govern employment policies and practices, including the NLRA
- Experience successfully implementing programs across geographically distributed teams
- Comprehensive understanding and application of HR principles, concepts, practices and standards
- Excellent planning and organization skills; attention to detail, and ability to handle multiple tasks
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; must be articulate and possess persuasive communication style with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership, problem-solving and strategic thinking skills; must be resilient and able to drive for results and set priorities under shifting/ambiguous conditions. Ability to influence and build strong working relationships across all levels of the organization
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs