About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc.’s Environmental, Social, and Governance Team (“ESG”) team is part of the Strategic Growth Office, which is at the forefront of driving our next chapter of growth. Leading with our values is more important than ever – both in growing our billion-dollar lifestyle brands and fueling our commitment to doing the right thing for people, planet and communities. We are guided by the belief that our business can and should be a force for good. That’s why we grow purpose-led brands that shape people’s way of life. The ESG team leads our work in how we ensure we have impact across our focus areas of empowering women, enabling opportunity and enriching communities.
The Director – Social, Labor & Human Rights is responsible for overseeing Gap Inc. supply chain social, labor and human rights stakeholder engagement strategy, managing partnerships with multilateral institutions, NGOs, trade unions, suppliers, and other relevant stakeholders on an ongoing basis. You will be driving this work through the lens of Empowering Women, which is a strategic pillar of Gap Inc.’s ESG framework.
This role will require deep partnership with internal stakeholders, particularly the Supplier Sustainability team, which is comprised of approximately 60 team members who are responsible for implementing Gap Inc.’s human rights and labor programs. You will also help engage leaders in our Global Supply Chain organization, as well as our portfolio of brands, to help ensure there is alignment across our human rights and commercial strategies.
Key responsibilities include being Gap Inc.’s senior representative in Empower@Work, a new partnership with Gap Inc., BSR, ILO Better Work and CARE, a collaborative effort dedicated to empowering women and advancing gender equity in global supply chains through the sharing of knowledge, skills and networks. You will also be responsible for helping develop and implement a comprehensive fair wage strategy within Gap Inc.’s supply chain. Equally important, you are responsible for working with key internal and external stakeholders to investigate and remediate human rights or labor-related issues within Gap Inc.’s supply chain.
What you'll do
- Work with Gap Inc.’s ESG Leadership Team on building and implementing both proactive and reactive partnerships with strategic social, labor and human rights stakeholders.
- Identify and cultivate key partnership opportunities in support of Gap Inc.’s ESG strategy, with a particular focus on women’s empowerment, and human rights and labor.
- Work with Gap Inc.’s Supplier Sustainability team to ensure that our programs, practices and partnerships continue to deliver demonstrable value for workers, suppliers, Gap Inc., and our stakeholders.
- Manage relationships with a broad set of stakeholders, including trade unions, NGOs, activists, government agencies, peer companies, and other labor and human rights experts.
- Represent Gap Inc. within the Empower@Work collaborative, by providing expert analysis and strategy support, in service of helping build a new, independent entity that seeks to transform how women workers are empowered in the apparel manufacturing sector.
- Develop a competitive fair wage supply chain strategy, including cultivating partnerships with expert stakeholders and academics to provide an evidence-based approach to addressing wages and financial inclusion.
- Help identify potential external partners to amplify ESG strategic agenda and manage ongoing relationships
- Develop internal and external ESG governance and reporting; work collaboratively across brands and functions to track and monitor progress, drive program awareness and communicate results
Who you are
- 8+ years of Public Policy or commensurate experience working in both Public and Private organizations. Master’s in Public Policy or MBA preferred
- Significant experience navigating complex engagements with a broad set of human rights and labor stakeholders, preferably with experience in the context of global supply chains
- Proven track-record of developing and participating in complex collaborations and public-private partnerships with a focus on human rights and labor, as well as women’s empowerment issues.
- Significant experience building and deploying human rights and labor programs, with associated operating and implementation models, as well as business models and governance frameworks to support them.
- Expert communicator and coalition-builder, with a passion for finding partnership opportunities with stakeholders that maintain divergent points of view.
- Existing relationships with leading human rights, labor and women’s empowerment organizations strongly preferred.
- Able to work independently and in ambiguity, while delivering clarity and focus for business partners.
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs