About Banana Republic
Banana Republic was founded with an explorer’s spirit and a desire to venture to new places, beyond the boundaries of the everyday. Our clothing is designed for a life with no boundaries.
We travel near and far in search of the finest materials and fabric innovations to infuse style with substance, because we believe that what you wear should open a world of possibilities. And the people that make up Banana Republic share the same qualities as our brand: curious, connected, undaunted by boundaries. Sound like you? Join us for the adventure of what’s next.
About the role
The Assistant Merchant will own the pre-season merchandise strategies for the Banana Republic Franchise business, driving seasonal product strategies to meet market specific needs. Accountable for delivering annual financial goals, supporting the execution of Franchise Market, and representing Franchise needs in brand milestone meetings. Initiatives include managing franchise exclusives, creating assortment strategies, developing lineplans, and analyzing the business for product recaps, seasonal midsights, and seasonal hindsights.
Position will be based in SF HQ and will be part of the Gap Inc Franchise Product team, partnering with Banana Republic Global Merchandising as well as Franchise Planning, Account Managemetn, Product Operations, Store Experience and Marketing.
What you'll do
- Support execution of seasonal Franchise Market inclusive of sample management execution and partnering with cross functional teams (Planning, Marketing, Visual) to develop and execute all necessary tools.
- Ensure franchise merchandising systems are properly maintained and all changes are made in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of cross-functional teams (Design, Global Merchandising, Planning, Production, Brand Planning, Franchise Partners as necessary)
- Identify strategies in-season where needed and provide appropriate and timely direction to global merchandising; liaises directly with global merchandising on all responsive levers (monthly bookings, chase, etc.)
- Analyze the business: Conduct seasonal midsight and hindsight reporting to inform future line development and merchandising strategies; review weekly selling reports and utilize knowledge to make informed product takeaways on market trend in bi-weekly trade meetings
- Build strong, commercially viable Franchise seasonal assortments inclusive of international exclusive styles
- Present and sell assortments to franchise partners while influencing franchisees to buy most appropriate seasonal assortment in order to achieve targeted financial goals and ensure strong representation of the Brand direction.
Who you are
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- High level of attention to detail while still managing to focus on the impact to topline business
- Demonstrate a point of view about product assortment and business opportunities
- Strong organizational and planning skills to ensure timely and accurate execution of responsibilities
- Strong ability to identify and execute priorities with a sense of urgency
- Strong communication and relationship/team skills
- Strong computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) with an aptitude for learning new programs
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Banana Republic
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs