About Banana Republic
Banana Republic was founded with an explorer’s spirit and a desire to venture to new places, beyond the boundaries of the everyday. Our clothing is designed for a life with no boundaries.
We travel near and far in search of the finest materials and fabric innovations to infuse style with substance, because we believe that what you wear should open a world of possibilities. And the people that make up Banana Republic share the same qualities as our brand: curious, connected, undaunted by boundaries. Sound like you? Join us for the adventure of what’s next.
About the role
With minimal supervision and high level creative direction, the Designer of Women’s Wovens will design a large category or several medium-sized categories, recommend new product categories or business ideas, and is responsible for influencing key stakeholders to ensure big ideas translate from concept to implementation.
What you'll do
- Researches trend in magazines and on-line. Inspiration shops domestically. May shop internationally.
- Manages a small team to design and develop product for assigned product categories.
- Translates seasonal concepts into key items, styles, and outfits. Ensures roadmap requirements are met.
- Selects fabric, color, print/pattern story, details and trims. May develop fabric and raw materials.
- Makes style-based grow/maintain/decline recommendations for specific product categories based on trend and historical business performance.
- Present key items and styles at alignment meeting to the leadership team.
- Partners with merchandising and production to select styles for sampling, set up booth sets by shop by flow, finalize garment details, and complete fittings.
- Creates BOMS.
- Ensures sample development is kept within agreed upon development ratios. Adheres to product development deadlines.
- Works with factories in–country to develop samples for adoption.
- Approves styles, including fabrication, construction, color, details, trims and fit.Approves fit. Attend fittings with tech services, to ensure design integrity. Sends garment to final fit.
- Familiar with best and worst sellers across categories and adjusts development accordingly. Can connect sales results to see overarching themes in the business.
- Successfully delivers additional volume through a reinvention or introduction of new categories or classifications.
- Demonstrates full supervisory and leadership responsibilities, contributing to the motivation/development of team through professional leadership.
- Hires, mentors, and develops lower-level designers. Provides work direction to freelancers and lower level designers.
Who you are
- 8 - 10 years design experience and degree in Fashion design or related field
- Experience working with cross-functional partners concerning design concepts, aesthetics, production, construction issues required.
- Experience in designing Women’s soft wovens (Dresses and Skirts)
- Mass retail experienced preferred
- Travel – 20% - 25% domestic and international may be required
- Defined aesthetic point-of-view and knowledge of color theory
- Computer skills; proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop
- Proficient in design Illustration
- In-depth knowledge of silhouettes, fabrication, color ways, sewing techniques, graphics and trim.
- Expert level of understanding of fabric and garment construction
- Demonstrated ability to interpret vintage and high fashion trends for a mass market, to evolve a big idea, and to design a cohesive collection
- Knowledge of fit and standard measurements
- Ability to apply and consolidate specialist skills and knowledge to lead and influence others
- Possess a working knowledge of other departments/categories and demonstrated ability to manage and balance conflicting priorities
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Banana Republic
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs