About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc.’s Government Affairs team is part of the Strategic Growth Office, which is at the forefront of driving our next chapter of growth. The Government Affairs team plays a foundational role in how we shape our go forward strategies in ways that support the values we live by and how we operate and expand the opportunities we create at a local, federal and international level across multiple jurisdictions.
As the Head of Government Affairs Strategy, you will work with the government affairs team across the enterprise, and with experts internally and externally, to shape the impact Gap Inc can have through policy. You will be responsible for defining the strategies, economics and policies that have the greatest impact and our approach to working in partnership with external stakeholders. You will be responsible for shaping the strategies that drive collaboration on the global scale to move Gap Inc. and our industry forward. You will also be responsible for helping to define how our strategy can be maximized at an international, federal, state, and local level via establishing the policies and processes Gap Inc will use to have the greatest impact. You will partner cross-functionally to evaluate, analyze, and execute upon strategic opportunities as Gap Inc. and the communities we operate in continue to evolve. This leader will work in a matrixed environment with the leaders of strategy, government affairs, ESG, tax, supply chain and finance, among others. The Head of Government Affairs Strategy will dual repot to Head of Strategy and Head of Government Affairs.
What you'll do
- Drive the end-to-end development of Gap Inc.’s Government Affairs strategy and policy asks with economics at a federal, state, and local level; and ensure integration with end-to-end operating strategy
- Partner with cross-functional business partners and external stakeholders to define processes and practices to maximize value and gain insights
- Identify and deconstruct business issues and develop strategic, analytical, and financial frameworks to evaluate against; communicate via executive-ready content that articulates clear and compelling storylines to drive action
- Build practices that align to Gap Inc.’s strategy and leverage to expand opportunities within the business and maximize the community impact our brands can have– these will be in service of employees, suppliers, consumers, operations and other key stakeholders
- Help identify potential external partners to amplify Gap Inc.’s strategic agenda and manage ongoing relationships
- Proactively identify and communicate business issues, opportunities and policy impacts by continually staying apprised of policy and stakeholder landscape (e.g., competitive, employee, consumer, vendor, and other relevant data) and bring recommended best practices to government affairs team to inform policy asks; serve as a thought leader and liaison with business partners and across Gap Inc.
Who you are
- 10+ years of strategy consulting or commensurate experience (policy, think tank or government agency) with demonstrated Government Affairs or Public Policy experiences. Bachelor’s degree and MBA required
- Broad knowledge and deep interest around public affairs issues and how public policy is shaped at a federal, state, and local level
- Experience in strategy to build business cases, socialize strategic initiatives, and operationalize across teams
- Strong economic analysis capability, exceptional problem solving and analytical skills; ability to frame new, ambiguous and complex issues; able to generate insight through rigorous analysis and demonstrate thought leadership
- Strong leadership abilities, including the ability to develop talent and build a high performing team. High-level of intellectual curiosity
- Strong influence skills and ability to work successfully with peers, teams, and C-suite executives in a matrixed organization
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills to support internal and external relationship building. Strong public speaking experience including engagements at conferences, with investors and media
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs