About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc. requires a dynamic lawyer with experience in third-party licensing arrangements, intellectual property (trademarks and copyright), franchise and general related commercial contracts space, who has strong aspirations to grow, innovate, lead and push boundaries.
Solution-oriented strategic thinker with sound judgement and exceptional organizational skills, the lawyer will support the lead Strategic Alliances Legal attorney to advise on, handle and manage a variety of complex and high-value domestic and international contracts, collaborating with various internal stakeholders and often under time pressure and high visibility. This position will work closely with legal peers and business partners based in San Francisco, NYC, London and elsewhere around the world.
The role can be based anywhere in the U.S., reporting to the lead Strategic Alliances Legal attorney based in New York.
What you'll do
- Speak with candor to the business when providing practical and strategic legal advice and guidance in relation to all aspects of third-party licensing agreements (inbound and outbound)
- Be a problem solver and drive towards solutions with speed when you undertake or manage drafting, negotiating and finalizing contracts and other types of licensing, franchise, distribution and related agreements
- Seek guidance and partnership with the Legal IP, Privacy, Compliance teams or others where subject matter expertise requires it to do the right thing
- Develop, maintain and manage efficient proceses and databases and trackers that may require input from and to serve as tools for cross-functional groups as well as SA Legal
- Be customer curious by building deep relationships with legal colleagues, third-party contractual partners, and key stakeholders to effectively provide legal and strategic advice to assist the business to meet its objectives
Who you are
- JD Required, Licensed to practice law in the US
- Prior relevant work experience in a reputable law firm and/or multinational companies, with practical experience working directly with business partners, is a prerequisite
- Prior relevant experience handling licensing transactions related to the licensing of intellectual property rights (inbound and outbound) is a pre-requisite
- Able to cut through complexity to distill the most important issues and identify and escalate issues and areas of risk
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to negotiate and build consensus across multiple stakeholders and functions
- Practical mindset with ability to balance legal risk with business impact
- Ability to assess relatively complex situations and analyze data to make judgments and recommend and implement solutions
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs