For the past 22 years, we’ve committed ourselves and our brand to a single aim: to empower all women and girls. Inspiration. Collaboration. Connection. Inclusivity. It’s what we do best, and we’re on the hunt for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
We use business as a force for good by putting people and the planet right up there with profit, which is why Athleta is a certified B Corp. Ready to make a move? Join us. Because we know that alone we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable.
About the role
The Head of Strategy reports to the SVP, Athleta Strategy, Finance and Inventory Mgt. This leader is responsible for helping establish the long-term strategic direction of Athleta along with members of the Senior Leadership Team. The Head of Strategy will be a key leader in strategic change initiatives to drive growth, develop corporate strategy and will drive new business development opportunities. As a key thought leader, this role brings together end to end strategies across brands and functions. This role will help to formulate all aspects of corporate strategy from market & competitor research, planning, initiative management and business development activities. This leader manages members of the strategy team as they support and work with leaders across Athleta. This leader also works collaboratively with Gap Inc. strategy teams to ensure that brand and functional strategies ladder and are executed.
What you'll do
- Develops long-range business strategy at the enterprise level
- Articulates clear and compelling storylines that drive action
- Weaves enterprise agenda into divisional priorities and plans; Structures and monitors the work of multiple groups and projects
- Partners closely with Finance to drive the right strategic decisions and investments, including the annual planning process and works in partnership and as a trusted thought leader with the brand and function leaders to inform and influence business strategies (e.g., pricing, brand architecture, infrastructure, channels, new markets)
- Develops and leads transformation efforts; Identifies and vets new business opportunities for Athleta and architects’ alliances/investments/acquisitions
- Leads a team
- Manage the M&A transaction process from identification of potential targets to close, leveraging prior M&A knowledge and experience
Who you are
- 12+ years of strategy consulting and corporate strategy experience with deep knowledge of apparel, retail, customer and digital (or commiserate experience in consulting, corporate finance and investment banking);
- Bachelor’s degree and MBA required; Demonstrated success in advancing and growing businesses globally
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills; ability to frame new, ambiguous and complex issues; able to generate insight through rigorous analysis
- Turnaround and transformation efforts, including business model innovation, operating systems development, large scale cost improvements, and organizational restructures and effectiveness
- Mergers and acquisition expertise including market research, prospect identification, due diligence, negotiation and post-merger/acquisition integration; Experience with progressive and innovative consumer insights efforts
- Strong leadership abilities, including the ability to develop talent and build a high performing team; Strong influence skills and ability to work successfully with peers; a true team player
- Ability to work effectively with senior executives, including Brand President and Board of Directors; Strong communications and presentation skills; Desire and ability to work in a matrixed organization
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs