About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The Director of Company Communications will provide clarity and confidence in, and demonstrate progress against, Gap Inc.’s long-term growth strategy to employees, media, strategic partners, public officials and shareholders as we position our purpose-led, billion-dollar lifestyle brands for growth. You will lead a team responsible for reinforcing the critical tie between our values, our strategy and our business performance. You will work intimately with the executive leadership team, in particular Gap Inc.’s Chief Growth Officer, Head of Strategy and CFO. You will report to the Head of Company Communications and will partner with internal constituencies in relevant functions (IR, Strategy, Finance, HR, Government Affairs, Sustainability, Equality & Belonging, Legal), at all levels, in support of current and future growth initiatives.
What you'll do
- Build innovative content strategies to support the company’s long-range plan (Power Plan 2023), inclusive of managing the development of presentations, FAQs and fact sheets, as well as press materials, including press releases, op-eds, talking points, speeches, articles and social content to that end
- Lead a high-performing team responsible for developing and executing strategic 360 communications plans for Gap Inc.’s company priorities, including quarterly earnings, annual report, strategy, business transformation, ESG and legal communications/announcements.
- Develop executive communications platforms connected to Gap Inc.’s growth agenda, including communications strategies for the Chief Growth Officer, Head of Strategy and CFO. Influence the company’s thought leadership, leveraging key executives and employees to speak on behalf of the company in support of strategic business initiatives.
- Elevate messaging and initiatives to create and cultivate relationships and stronger reputation with government institutions, political figures, and investment community via financial media in service to our values and growth agenda.
- Own key business media relationships. Be able to translate key financial and strategic announcements to business press strategies through keen positioning, and business experience. As such, this director should have a thorough degree of business acumen and understand broader communications and industry trends; and be able to shape stories that accurately reflect Gap Inc./Brand priorities, values and market position.
- Champion bold and creative thinking, encouraging teams to challenge the status quo at every step.
Who you are
- 12-15 years’ proven track record in financial, corporate and/ or brand communications, inclusive of external and internal communications; at least 5 years of experience building and leading a team of individual contributors and managers
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or related field
- Demonstrated ability to influence leaders across the company, including C-level executives
- Excellent written, verbal and advisory skills, including speech-writing experience
- Strong business acumen and experience partnering intimately with Finance, Strategy and other teams on the development of business and data rich content for internal and external stakeholders
- Results oriented, strong sense of urgency, collaborative, proactive and flexible. Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines and driving work through teams
- Tenacious content creation skills, constant curiosity, and a fascination for the world of retail and its broader market/societal impact
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs