About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
As Banana Republic revitalizes its business and transforms into a lifestyle brand under a new CEO, communications and employee engagement are critical. The Director of Corporate Communications will develop global strategic communications that translate Banana Republic’s business goals into confidence building and energizing programs for employees, customers, and shareholders. The director will focus primarily on Banana Republic while working on a team that supports Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta. The role reports into the Senior Director Gap Inc. Communications.
What you'll do
- Launch a new brand platform: Support Banana Republic’s transformation into a lifestyle brand. Build and execute 360 degree communications programs that inspire customers and employees.
- Rally employees: Shape and implement new ways of working within our San Francisco HQ. Collaborate with our HR and Equality and Belonging Teams to execute strategies that attract, engage and retain a diverse and inclusive talent pool. Scale Gap Inc.’s culture work within Banana Republic.
- Bring the brand to life around the globe. Set strategy and manage planning for major meetings and events to ensure a balanced and dynamic approach to reaching employees and consistency across audiences. Partner closely with our Banana Republic Japan team as well the Global Franchise and Strategic Alliances team.
- Develop executive communications platforms: Create communications strategies for a new CEO, CFO and Chief Branding officer. Influence the company’s thought leadership, leveraging Banana Republic key executives and employees to speak on behalf of the company in support of strategic business and culture initiatives.
- Shape and protect the brand’s reputation: Work closely with the Gap Inc. Corporate Communications, brand public relations and brand social media teams.
- Own key business media relationships. Be able to translate key financial announcements to business press strategies through keen positioning, business and brand management experience. As such, this director should have a thorough degree of business acumen and understand broader communications and industry trends; and be able to shape stories that accurately reflect Gap Inc./Brand priorities, values and market position.
- Lead a high-performing team. Hire and develop a high-performing communications team. Encourage bold and creative thinking.
Who you are
- 15 years’ proven track record in financial, corporate and/ or brand communications, inclusive of external and internal communications
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or related field
- Experience in the fashion, retail or another consumer facing sectors
- Excellent written, verbal and advisory skills, including speech-writing experience
- Demonstrable project management skills, including ability to manage several campaigns and initiatives/events at once, prioritize, work under tight deadlines and pressure and deliver for multiple executives in various time zones and budget management
- Strong judgment and confidence during issues or crisis
- Ability to manage confidential, sensitive information discreetly
- Ability to manage and develop teams and work across various functions, including bicoastal direct reports
- Understanding of and experience using traditional and digital communications tools
- Willingness to work nights/weekends or to travel, as required
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs