Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Assistant Manager of Product Development supports the product line creation by partnering cross-function to communicate and execute to design aesthetics, merchandise strategies and financial targets. They work closely with design teams in New York as well as Sourcing and Product Development partners in Asia to deliver on product design and brand aesthetic while effectively managing average unit cost.
What you'll do
- Execute category product development strategies that align with production strategies and divisional goals.
- Understand product development implications on merchandising and design-driven product decisions based on category or vendor strategies and nuances.
- Help to drive communication between brand teams and Asia-based product teams to ensure strategic business alignment and optimal responsiveness.
- Understand divisional and cross-functional goals and work with team to execute supporting strategies.
- Understand and work with cross-functional teams to manage costs through our systems/tools, TradeStone and GA.
- Communicate with Asia-based teams to understand product execution issues and provide support in resolving them in a timely manner.
- Support the execution of demand driven and seasonal booking processes, in addition to supporting in-season product management.
- Support BOM development and execution in partnership with Design partners.
- Order sample material requests in PLM.
- Partner w/ design to communicate aesthetic changes to vendors for Co-Creation styles.
- Track samples via SMEE tool and follow up on missing samples with GIS.
Who you are
- Global Product Development experience or exposure to driving global product development and understands design. merchandising, and vendor/category management.
- Proactively solves problems and effectively manage multiple challenges.
- Experience executing on multi-year operational goals, incorporating knowledge of production trade regulations, testing protocol, product integrity, production cycle timeline, fabric and garment construction, and retail math.
- Ability to influence and make decisions cross-functionally in a matrixed environment where speed and cultural sensitivity is crucial.
- Demonstrated professional presence, presentation, influencing, and collaboration across a broader team.
- Demonstrates the ability to lead without authority to influence others and drive informed decision-making.
- Demonstrated curiosity, motivated to develop new skills and knowledge.
- Experience in managing dynamic projects that require the ability to flex as obstacles are presented.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs