About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
The Sustainable Chemistry Analyst is responsible for maintaining and communicating up-to-date and accurate data on product testing and supply chain chemicals management, and for contributing to development of technical chemistry resources for internal business partners. Duties will include administering Gap Inc.’s Restricted Substance List (RSL) program; tracking supply chain performance on key chemicals KPIs including ZDHC (Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals) implementation; and contributing to product- and supply chain-focused working groups aimed at advancing sustainable chemicals management in the apparel & footwear value chain. This role sits within the Global Sustainability team and is part of the Environmental Sustainability group. The role will require cross-functional collaboration and relationships, including with Data Insights, Operations & Reporting; Environmental Capability Building; Sourcing, Product Integrity; and others as deemed necessary. Chemistry knowledge is required; experience with textile chemistry and sustainability is preferred.
What you'll do
- Administer Restricted Substances List (RSL) program; review test reports; lead resolution of chemical failures with global sourcing business partners; and maintain database of test results
- Analyze RSL test results, product risk, and vendor performance and communicate to internal partners
- Maintain internal supplier lists for facilities participating in ZDHC programs and leverage data platforms to collect and analyze chemical inventories, wastewater testing data, and other relevant information from vendors
- Track supply chain participation and chemistry performance in key programs (Water Quality Program, Mill Sustainability Program, and others) and support supply chain partners in identifying corrective actions needed
- Refine strategy for tracking and analysis of supply chain input chemistry, wastewater testing, & chemical compliance data
- Contribute to AFIRM Group and ZDHC (Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals) working groups as needed
- Support brand sustainability and innovation goals related to chemicals by researching, developing, and helping to communicate sustainable chemistry recommendations
Who you are
Bachelor's degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental science, or related field, or equivalent experience
Superior analytical skills and proficiency with MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
High attention to detail, organization, and follow-through
Self-motivated and able to communicate at all levels
Good at problem-solving, strategic thinking, & planning
Experience with chemicals management or manufacturing in consumer products or retail industry desirable
Laboratory testing experience desirable; familiarity with ZDHC / RSLs / Higg FEM a plus
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs