About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The Product, Innovation, and IP Counsel acts as a legal business partner to senior leaders across Gap Inc.’s portfolio of brands to develop performance apparel innovations at all price points for our portfolio of brands, including Gap, Old Navy, Athleta, and Banana Republic. This position will collaborate closely with business teams on the creation, acquisition, and protection of intellectual property in new and innovative product technologies. You will provide strategic legal advice and lead the development of Gap Inc.’s global patent strategy and processes. You will work hands on with our product teams and will negotiate third party transactions. The ideal candidate has significant experience negotiating complex IP deals and advising on patent strategy, enthusiasm for challenges and learning new skills, and a scientific or engineering background. The position will report to the Associate General Counsel, Product, Customer & Digital.
What you'll do
- Proactively engage with and support business partners on innovation initiatives, including GapTech digital, fabric, and mobile and drive IP protection strategy to meet business needs and ensure long-term competitive advantage
- Advise business partners on the acquisition, development, and commercialization of third-party technologies
- Negotiate and draft agreements related to strategic partnerships, joint development, IP acquisitions, exclusivity, and confidentiality
- Manage patent research and analysis projects on issues including competitive intelligence, patentability, prior art, infringement, invalidity, and freedom to operate
- Oversee the drafting, filing, prosecution, and maintenance of US and foreign patents
- Develop, implement, and drive rollout and adoption of internal processes to track inventions and other ownable innovations throughout Gap Inc.
- Spearhead internal education initiatives and trainings related to IP and processes
- Develop and implement a patent strategy for the business
- Support review of marketing claims related to product
Who you are
- 8 or more years of legal experience in IP transactions and patent practice
- Juris Doctor or LLM from accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in the U.S.
- Experience working closely with production teams at apparel retailers to develop new fabrics/technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or engineering field
- In-house experience and/or retail, commercial or consumer products and privacy experience a plus.
- USPTO admission a plus
- Able to cut through complexity to distill the most important issues.
- Able to work independently and cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment.
- Practical mindset with ability to balance legal risk with business impact.
- Action-oriented, able to prioritize and juggle multiple matters.
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs