For the past 22 years, we’ve committed ourselves and our brand to a single aim: to empower all women and girls. Inspiration. Collaboration. Connection. Inclusivity. It’s what we do best, and we’re on the hunt for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
We use business as a force for good by putting people and the planet right up there with profit, which is why Athleta is a certified B Corp. Ready to make a move? Join us. Because we know that alone we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable.
About the role
We’re looking for a Level 2 Product Engineer for Athleta to successfully oversee product development at all stages through initial concepting to the start of production. In this role, you will be responsible for building the product in partnership with fabric R&D, design, art and fit specialists. You will be responsible for translating design intent into technical Bill of Materials and communicate with sourcing and vendor partners to ensure the product is created with the appropriate materials, testing protocol and cost structure. You will also be responsible for the T&A of the product and ensuring that all deliverables are met from creation through start of production.
What you'll do
- Reponsible for product engineer of assigned product category from concept through to production-ready hand-off, ensuring technical engineering meets expectations for design intent, technical innovation and costing
- Developing BOMs in partnership with design and create/update detail construction sketches
- Evaluating all samples (Proto, photosamples, pre-production) for correct construction
- Engingeering product within strategic costing direction and providing solutions to aid the costing process in conjunction with Costing Engineers and GIS to ensure quality and costing parameters are met
- Partner with GIS and vendors to develop and innovate construction standards
- Coordinates wear test samples
- Partners with GIS and Production Management teams to ensure product is buy ready product and has went through appropriate risk assessment
- Manages product through appropriate time and action to ensure all deliverables are being met
- Partners with Designers and Fit Specialists to understand fit intent and aesthetic ensuring translation into proto/ sample with consistency
- Contributes technical and construction expertise by collaborating with design, fit specialists and vendor partners
- Provide insight and guidance to GIS and Fit Specialists team leads and collaborate on construction, production or cost engineering solutions
- Follows sourcing strategy allocation logic developed by GIS and Product Strategy Leads
- Provide oversight of cost direction based on line plan and product briefs provided by cross-functional team
- Partners with fabric R&D to ensure fabric development and approvals are appropriate for end use and meets business requirements
- Partners with Production Operations Lead on building responsive product toolbox
Who you are
- 7-10 years experience in Technical Design/Product Development
- Technical knowledge of product engineering and garment construction (materials/fabric, construction, and technical innovation)
- Performance background a plus
- Demonstrates knowledge of technical construction expertise, cost engineering and knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Demonstrates superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to create trust with cross functional teams
- Able to proactively troubleshoot and solve highly complex problems
- Knowledge of product creation calendar timelines and able to manage competing deadlines
- Traveled to and worked with manufacturers across Asia, Americas, and Europe
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs