Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
The Senior Merchandiser is responsible for driving the Merchandise Strategy to meet the commercial needs of the global/ regional business. They will develop in partnership with MM/DMM, communicate and drive seasonal business product strategies that meet or exceed financial goals and the customer expectations, while developing and training the Merchandising team. They will lead and collaborate with their department cross functional teams in the development and execution of the seasonal merchandise strategy. At the Sr. Merchant level, strategy encompasses the construction and execution of short term and long-term department initiatives to advance the business goals of the division and brand. Senior Merchants are also expected to manage a portfolio of categories to optimize business results. Initiatives include assortment strategies, weekly business review and product re-caps, identifying business opportunities, average unit cost management, pricing and product architecture, test and respond, and market hind-sighting. This role is part of the Global Divisional Product Merchant Team in partnership with Design, Production, Inventory Management, Marketing and Visual.
What you'll do
- Develop assortments and strategies aligned to overall department strategy, resulting in profitable business results.
- Build assortments that meet global and regional needs – right time, right place, and right price.
- Read and react – manage in season business and open to buy and pricing and promos to optimize financial goals of category.
- Identify product opportunities and is an expert in the competitive landscape.
- Partner with cross channel leads on product strategies and requirements to ensure customer needs are met, AUC profitability and speed to market. Also, partners with Inventory Management on seasonal investment strategy by market to ensure big ideas and growth drivers are protected.
- Communicate seasonal strategies in a collaborative way to key cross functional team and leadership to ensure innovation and financial success as a focus.
- Lead and influence while effectively presenting and collaborating with the cross functional team and executives.
- Solution oriented – is resourceful to problems that arise within department and outside department.
- Develop individuals and provide thoughtful and timely feedback to guide strategic development. Mentors other team members.
Who you are
- Financial acumen – knowledge of and ability to impact financial outcomes.
- Strategic and critical thinker – thinks strategically, conceptually and creatively.
- Vertical retail – has demonstrated ability to work in vertical retail environment.
- Team leadership – has influenced cross -functional teams.
- Change leadership – experience working through significant change and transformation to move an organization forward.
- Drive results – proven track record of driving results.
- Collaborative – proven ability to work in an environment where collaboration with cross functional partners is a key focus and speed is crucial.
- Experimentation – has explored and tried new ways of approaching goals.
- Learning agility – demonstrates an ability to seek new information, ideas, experiences, and is self-aware.
- Talent builder – proven track record of developing best-in-industry leaders. Management experience preferred.
- 6+ years of Merchandising or retail experience recommended – experience in developing and executing merchandising strategies.
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs