About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
The Director of Product Development leads the Family Active Team, and is responsible for the execution and strategic direction for Family Active PD. He/she manages the activities and career development of a collaborative, innovative and productive management team. The Production Director may have Manager, Associate and Assistant Production Developers as his/her direct reports. He/she works closely within a cross-functional team that includes; PM, R&D, Gap Inc. Sourcing (GIS), Merchandising, Tech Services, IM, QA and Allocation.
What you'll do
- Drive and articulate the strategy and vision for Family Active PD
- Elevate our brand aesthetic and collaborate with Design to support the development and innovation of the product line
- Maintain an understanding of how certain raw materials perform when in garment form and offer input and recommendations based on VoC, vendor innovation, quality improvements, and competition
- Timely coordinate of good/better/best during sketch review, ensuring strategy is adhered to
- Execute category product development strategies that align with production strategies and division goals
- Drive Family Active initiatives to enable growth, innovation, and product improvements that can be leveraged across the divisions.
- Work across the Active Family organization to drive aligment in product, process, and quality.
- Understand product development implications on merchandising and design-driven product decisions based on category or vendor strategies and nuances
- Leverage performance apparel technical knowledge and leadership support to troubleshoot and resolve issues that are unique in nature and may require a novel approach
- Drive communication between cross-functional team and Asia-based product teams to ensure strategic business alignment and optimal responsive capabilities
- Understand divisional and cross-functional goals and work with team to execute supporting strategies.
- Communicate upfront brand costing and strategic goals to Category Sourcing.
- Understand and work with cross-functional teams to ensure financial targets are met by delivering costing guidance
- Manage seasonal and monthly booking processes, in addition to supporting in-season product management
- Drive fabric strategies by developing product to meet fabric expectations and providing recommendations on fabrics to platform, position, and leverage
- Develop and manage relationships internally and externally
- Collect and provide market information on factory capacity/loading
- Partner with Fabric R&D to provide input on market trend and new quality, to recommend alternatives and to confirm requirements on fabric development
- Direct seasonal sample making strategy
- Direct and manage seasonal costing and reporting
- Coordinate and play active role in development and bulk placement seasonal strategies.
- Provide information and recommendations relating to chargebacks and discounts
- Manage liabilities
- Coaching and troubleshooting
- Manage product integrity and order specifications compliance
- Monitor/ensure on-time delivery
- Alert DMM of high risk potential order problems and keep CFT abreast of issues as they arise
- Negotiate with factories on critical order/production specifications, e.g. delivery date
Who you are
- Minimum 5 years apparel production/sourcing experience with Active Apparel experience preffered
- Experience in product development with an understanding of performance materials and trims
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Strong negotiation skills
- Good people management/delegation skills
- Strong team orientation
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs