About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc.’s Product, Consumer and Digital teams are at the forefront of driving our next chapter of growth. Leading with our values is more important than ever – both in growing our billion-dollar lifestyle brands and fueling our commitment to doing the right thing for people, planet and communities. The leader of the Product, Customer & Digital Legal team will play a critical role in propelling Gap Inc.’s Power Plan and supporting this growth. You will be imbedded into key business units and brands to support, counsel, and provide guidance on a broad range of issues so leaders can make timely decisions that support the growth of the business. You will drive legal strategy for product and consumer development to foster innovation while maintaining compliance and mitigating potential risk. You will work closely with senior executives to decide pivotal legal and business issues that will directly impact the future of the company. You will be an integral member of the Legal Leadership team and support legal department strategy and initiatives.
You will lead a team of attorneys and legal professionals who support the marketing and product teams inside Gap Inc’s purpose-led brands as well as our loyalty, payments and digital teams. These counsel roles will serve as the primary point of contact for their brand or business unit, to counsel, advise and defend them on a range of issues, from marketing, advertising, product review, pricing and promotions, sweepstakes, commercial and customer privacy matters, to managing related contracts, disputes and litigation. The team also includes a focus on brand protection, as well as support to our corporate functions such as supply chain and sustainability, product safety and regulatory issues, and competition law.
Key business partners include the brand CMOs and leaders of design, merchandising, inventory management and production, communications, sustainability, product safety, supply chain, loyalty and payments, digital and technology.
What you'll do
- Leads the Product, Consumer, and Digital teams inside Gap Inc.’s Global Legal Department. Key partner for senior business leaders on intellectual property, promotion and advertising issues, media and entertainment partnerships, providing counsel and recommendations for high-risk issues.
- Accountable for legal matters in the following areas globally: Intellectual Property, Marketing and Advertising, Promotions, Pricing, Innovation and Digital product development, IP Enforcement, Defensive Claims, and Litigation.
- Additionally, leads the legal team in handling commercial matters including product safety and regulation, product labeling, supply chain and sustainability, website claims, and competition law.
- Provides legal guidance on issues related to mobile applications, behavioral advertising, social networking and marketing, email, SMS/text, and telephone marketing, spyware, adware, affiliate marketing, location-based services, tracking technologies, etc
- Counsel marketing and innovation teams on privacy and other legal implications for new products and features, including in the areas of online advertising, mobile, social, and communications.
- Develops targeted brand protection strategies and budgets for brands, franchising, licensing and other business units to enable business objectives and entry into new markets and new product and service categories.
- Leads and coaches’ team to innovate and find creative solutions, as well as ensure consistent and
- service-oriented support to business partners. Upon escalation, removes obstacles and supports team members to navigate complex issues or challenges to timely and effectively meet business and legal objectives.
- Create a sustainable culture of excellence and a high performing team through teaching, coaching and providing meaningful feedback to build capabilities.
- Upholds the company and brand culture and creates an inclusive environment where both customers and employees feel valued, appreciated, and a sense of belonging
Who you are
- Minimum of 15+ years of relevant in-house and/or law firm experience, including experience supporting strong brands. Experience with retail (both brick and mortar and digital) and media or entertainment industry a plus. Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and licensed to practice law in the U.S.
- Proven leadership, teamwork, and collaboration in professional setting; inclusive approach and respect for all levels of employees.
- Strong sense of integrity; adheres to highest professional and ethical standards; unfailing ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proactively provides strategic direction and develops policies or processes for handling matters effectively. Regularly interacts with senior level business partners and management to develop and influence policy. Can decide and act without having the total picture, isn’t upset when things are up in the air, doesn’t have to finish things before moving on, and can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Manages functional operations, including budget/cost management, external law firm management, and work and resource allocation. Identifies and drives increased efficiencies, productivity, and cost reductions, while balancing impact against increased risk.
- Possesses exceptional technical, managerial, and leadership skills, including the ability to build and maintain organizational credibility. Fosters open dialogue and empowers others to achieve results. Makes people development a priority.
- Can flex quickly and easily to changing business needs/priorities, understands how to smoothly and effectively bring others along as things change, and is a settling influence in a crisis.
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs