About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc.’s Environmental, Social, and Governance Team (“ESG”) team is part of the Strategic Growth Office, which is at the forefront of driving our next chapter of growth. Leading with our values is more important than ever – both in growing our billion-dollar lifestyle brands and fueling our commitment to doing the right thing for people, planet and communities. The ESG team leads our work in how we ensure we have impact across our focus areas of empowering women, enabling opportunity and enriching communities.
As the Director of Governance and Measurement, you will be responsible for positioning Gap Inc. for transparent measurement of our global ESG work. This includes our external and internal measurement, metrics and reporting as a full governance model. This role is critical to enable our public and private partnerships, providing key stakeholders objective measurement, feeding our understanding of the impact we are having and where we have more work to do. This role works across the ESG leadership team and other Gap Inc. leaders to establish standard reporting, defining governance and measurement and determining which external indices and frameworks enable us to have the greatest impact and build a continuous improvement process. This role will manage a team to track and measure progress toward ESG goals. This team also helps the ESG leadership produce our annual reporting and website. The Director of Governance and Measurement will report to the ESG Strategy Lead.
What you'll do
- Establish governance framework, metrics and measurement for internal and external commitments and strategies – what data we collect, how we collect it, data validation, the emerging analysis and ultimately how we report the ESG metrics externally
- Automate reporting and measurement working with technical and supply chain partners
- Lead a team to deliver the scope of need across ESG for governance and measurement
- Assess our capabilities to report real time against our ESG strategy and roadmaps
- Partner with key stakeholders to develop measurement approach for compliance reporting and measurement of our partnership progress
- Ensure timely and accurate responses to ESG-focused inquiries from investors, clients, non-governmental organizations and ESG rating agencies (MSCI, Sustainalytics, S&P, etc)
- Partner with key internal cross-functional stakeholders (including Global Sustainability, Equality and Belonging, Legal, HR, Investor Relations, Government Affairs, & Corporate Communications) to coordinate efforts on developing, refining, and advancing ESG communication goals – proactively identify evolving topic areas and expectations of external interest, perform gap assessments, and develop recommendations for further action to fill performance and/or transparency gaps
- Partner with Corporate Communications as a Global Sustainability metrics SME on Gap Inc.’s Sustainability Report strategy and Sustainability website
- Drive reporting tool (such as program scorecards) and process development to capture and disseminate program data and insights that influence Global Sustainability strategy and enable program continuous improvement.
Who you are
- 7+ years of relevant experience in establishing governance and metrics and building measurement. Bachelor’s degree required
- Preferred technical knowledge and experience with relevant ESG standards and reporting frameworks, including GRI, SASB, IIIRC and others
- Track record of managing the development and publication of formal corporate responsibility / sustainability reports internally and externally
- Ability to partner and influence across executive teams; strong influencing skills and ability to work successfully with peers, teams, and senior executives in a matrixed organization
- Data management and reporting skills, ability to develop a strategy and experience building solutions with Tech partners
- Strong communication skills to deliver external and internal reporting and communication
- Understanding of the evolving expectations for responsibility and sustainability among various stakeholders (e.g., shareholders, ESG ratings firms, governments, non-governmental organizations, etc.), perform assessments of current performance, and develop recommendations for action
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs