For the past 22 years, we’ve committed ourselves and our brand to a single aim: to empower all women and girls. Inspiration. Collaboration. Connection. Inclusivity. It’s what we do best, and we’re on the hunt for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
We use business as a force for good by putting people and the planet right up there with profit, which is why Athleta is a certified B Corp. Ready to make a move? Join us. Because we know that alone we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable.
About the role
As a G!RL Designer, you will craft a unique and cohesive voice for Athleta G!RL. You will report into the Senior Designer, work closely with the Design Team, and partner with cross functional team members who collectively are responsible for creating innovative product that is famous for its sustainable technical beauty.
- Research global markets to identify new trends, silhouettes, fabrics, techniques, craft, collaborations, sport, and wellness; filtered for Girl’s activewear and performance lifestyle.
- Informed by Design Team needs, deliver seasonal (4X per year) Girl perspectives, while simultaneously driving long lead explorations and high-level brand strategy exploration.
- Understanding key technologies across all Girl categories (outerwear, seamless, bras, swim, activewear, performance lifestyle, loungeestore, etc.); identify and carve out distinct paths within each, highlighting and celebrating their unique capabilities.
- Drive Youth-focused innovation in a performance led, aesthetically driven approach.
- Balance fashion & trend within the line plan - drive core category evolution and development of emerging businesses opportunities.
- Partner with Art Team on prints and graphics that integrate and interpret styles in a considered way; approach with youthful eye to keep girls and tweens engaged.
- Partner with Tech Design to integrate silhouette and fit trends while prioritizing youth-focused comfort and function; pre-fit prototypes (ensuring fit intent, styling, constructions); participate in regular fittings.
- Participate in the conceptual development of the collection, and advocate design ideas by presenting to multiple audiences (internal leaders as well as cross-functional partners).
- Partner with Design Lead and Product Engineering to elevate craft techniques and design language as well as contribute to long lead innovation projects put forth by brand strategies.
- Partner with Product Engineering to create tech packs and communicate vision behind fit & design, ensuring execution, quality, and desired margin targets.
- Sketch in 2D with Illustrator software; hand sketching a plus; 3D software knowledge advantageous (CLO, Browzwear, Optitex).
- Exhibit self and team leadership, growth and development.
Who you are
- Dynamic, team-oriented attitude; positive energy and desiring feedback
- Strong understanding of youthful generations and the sociocultural trends that motivate them.
- Robust knowledge of youth-driven design, that give understanding of design feasibility within child safety regulations, youth-specific function and fit needs, and costing parameters.
- Passionate about the newness within textiles
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being able to juggle multiple seasons at one time
- Curiosity to explore new ideas
- Strong sense of style and color with a considered aesthetic and an eye toward detail, and a clear perspective of how to approach through a youthful lens.
- Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, and construction, that give understanding of what's technically possible without hesitation to push beyond.
- Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop with an understanding of PLM; 3D design software knowledge a plus!
- Strong vendor relationships that establish trust and goodwill between Athleta and suppliers.
- Confident presentation skills, capable of influencing an audience
- Well-crafted communication and organizational skills, including tracking development deadlines
- Ability to travel globally for factory visits, trend/tradeshows, design meetings, etc.
- Minimum of 5+ years experience in apparel design (Girl experience a must/plus!); Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Fashion Design program
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs