About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
This role acts as the senior legal business partner to Gap Inc.’s Old Navy brand to counsel on marketing, advertising, and commercial activities, including managing related contracts, disputes and litigation. In particular, this position will focus on supporting and advising Old Navy on marketing/advertising/promo/pricing matters, operational issues, customer privacy, product review, product claims, brand protection, and alleged infringements. This person will need strong business and customer acumen, excellent communication and relationship building skills, and the ability to pivot on complex legal matters for the continued growth of the company. You will be directly involved in driving strategy, counseling the business, and helping to develop processes to mitigate risk and protect Gap Inc.’s interests. Success in this role will depend on effective collaboration with cross-functional team members and business partners and thus requires strong management skills.
What you'll do
- Advise on legal clearance of advertising and marketing materials, product claims, promotional offers, contests and sweepstakes, social media, and product designs.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of marketing, sponsorship, co-branding, licensing, and creative services agreements.
- Advise and train on a range of questions that may arise in connection with our products, including those related to product safety, labeling, performance claims, regulatory compliance, contractual relationships and consumer privacy.
- Manage and drive effective resolution of commercial and IP-related claims and litigation, including alleged infringements.
- Proactively identify business issues, potential liability and reputational risks, and collaborate with business partners on creative and practical solutions.
- Direct the work of counsel, paralegals and supervise outside counsel.
Who you are
- Juris Doctor or LLM from an accredited law school. Licensed to practice law in the U.S.
- Minimum 8 years relevant legal experience in providing commercial and/or intellectual property advice to strong companies and brands, with a particular expertise in marketing/advertising/promotional advice
- Additional experience with domestic and international intellectual property, trademark prosecution and enforcement, trademark clearance, copyright counseling as related to fashion design, intellectual property-related contract drafting preferred
- In-house experience and/or retail or consumer products experience preferred
- Able to cut through complexity to distill the most important issues
- Able to work independently and cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment
- Practical mindset with ability to balance legal risk with business impact
- Action-oriented, able to prioritize and juggle multiple matters
- People management experience a plus
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs