About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The Associate General Counsel, Corporate plays a critical role in demonstrating progress against Gap Inc.’s long-term growth strategy to employees, strategic partners, and shareholders as we position our purpose-led, billion-dollar lifestyle brands for growth. This role reports directly to the Vice President, and oversees, and manages teams providing strategic, practical and effective legal support to a variety of key corporate functions and departments. This role provides legal expertise and partnership to the company’s Finance, Accounting, Treasury, Tax, Compensation, Investor Relations, Communications and Strategy teams, and various corporate functions covering broad functional areas. This role also oversees all SEC disclosures and reporting, the Corporate Secretary’s office, NYSE compliance, corporate governance for Gap Inc. and all of its global subsidiaries, insider trading compliance and global equity administration (including Section 16 filings).
What you'll do
- Acts as legal lead and advisor and partner to key corporate business partners (Finance, Corporate Controller’s Group, Executive Compensation, Tax, Treasury, Strategy, etc.) and the Senior Leadership Team in matters of corporate governance, public securities and strategic and transactional work.
- Advise senior management on disclosure matters, including earnings and other press releases, presentations, significant internal communications and other announcements.
- Oversee the corporate secretarial function. Work with the Corporate Secretary to drive essential Board-related processes, policies and matters and provide advice to the Board of Directors on fiduciary duties and oversight responsibilities.
- Monitor and keep senior management and Board members apprised of corporate governance trends and developments.
- Provide legal support to enterprise risk management activities including monitoring and reporting.
- Manage formation and ongoing compliance for international entities around the world.
- Provides vision, leadership, oversight, counsel, and development to team members and business partners.
Who you are
- 12+ years of legal experience in an in-house legal department -- preferably at a Fortune 500 public company.
- Law firm experience a plus.
- J.D. from an accredited law school; top tier a plus.
- Deep knowledge of securities law for public companies.
- Deep understanding of public company corporate governance best practices.
- Significant experience in domestic and international acquisitions, divestitures, and joint venture formations.
- Experience building and leading an inclusive and collaborative team.
- Demonstrated integrity and ability to maintain principles under pressure.
- High-quality analytical skills, management experience, and exceptional leadership ability. Passion for excellence and a demonstrable orientation toward successful team and leader development.
- Ability to anticipate, influence, and assist the organization to assess and rapidly adjust to changing conditions and trends (internal and external).
- Excellent communication, presentation, and training skills. Strong negotiator/facilitator and consensus builder.
- Strategic orientation with ability to act tactically, as required. Excellent conceptual and critical thinking skills.
- San Francisco based preferred.
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs