About Old Navy
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
About the role
The Manager, production artist, is responsible and accountable for the production of on-time, error-free, and properly constructed mechanicals. Key requirements for this role include a strong sense of design to support conceptual development, expert knowledge of current design software, a strong working knowledge of various printing platforms and prepress techniques, and the ability to solve problems and communicate effectively with business partners. The manager will also be responsible for the professional development of 2-3 direct reports, and must serve as a daily time management / work quality role model and teacher for all members in the department.
What you'll do
- Create on-time, error-free, and properly constructed artwork and mechanicals
- Create conceptually sound extensions of approved “typical” designs for additional project components
- Support and defend the creative concept throughout the production process
- Identify and offer solutions for production / creative / manufacturing problems
- Act as liaison between design and print production to ensure successful and efficient production of all concepts
- Continually manage, and work to improve, the quality of department deliverables
- Manage schedule of production jobs and assign projects to Production Artists
- Maintain responsibility for projects from creative hand-off through final delivery
- Adhere to print/web quality standards and sign-off procedures to ensure error-free deliverables
- Create mechanical mock-ups for proofing purposes
- Adhere to naming and back-up procedures to ensure proper archiving of digital assets
- Deliver final artwork to business partners and / or suppliers (via cloud, ftp, extranet, email, etc.)
- Maintain personal daily and weekly production schedule
- Actively participate in project launch meetings
- Actively participate in creative / production handoff meetings
- Gather and record information from business partners and suppliers that facilitates efficient studio workflow through Digital Production (ie. legal, print specifications, etc.)
- Attend business partner / supplier meetings and conference calls regarding production, timing, etc.
- Participate in the review of internal and external proofs
- Manage freelance production artists as necessary
- Work with digital production leadership to teach and reinforce best practices for all team members
- Identify and offer solutions for inefficiencies in department workflow and/or quality standard
- Set individual goals and create appropriate professional development path for 1-3 direct reports
Who you are
- Heavy design sensibility, coupled with the desire and skill to be strong creative partners
- Uncompromising attention to detail and maintenance of the highest degree of quality
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat
- Strong working knowledge of business application software (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Strong working knowledge of printing platforms and web standards (Lithography, Screen Print, Responsive Design, etc.)
- Strong working knowledge of prepress workflow (proofing, color management, etc.)
- Ability to identify production concerns and offer solutions in support of the creative concept
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask and manage time
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to apply past learning to present situations
- Constant drive to gain additional knowledge to improve skill set
- Ability to provide guidance and leadership with regards to day-to-day digital production challenges
- Ability to juggle mechanical (60-70%) with collateral (30-40%) duties without compromising quality or timing
- Minimum 6-8 years of hands-on digital production experience, college degree
- Experience working directly with business partners and suppliers
- 2-3 years of experience managing groups of digital production artists
- Pre-Press / Printing / Digital / Web
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Old Navy
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs