About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc. is changing the future of retail and reimagining how people shop and engage with our brands. Our obsession with delighting customers and our commitment to deliver fully on those experiences is what sets us apart.
At Gap Inc., we are using technology as a competitive advantage to become the world’s #1 specialty apparel retailer. As part of GapTech, you will deliver globally scalable, cloud-based solutions, using agile software development, DevOps practices, and best of breed technologies.
In the GapTech DevOps Enablement group, you will work in product teams to directly contribute to new and existing business capabilities. We are hiring agile enthusiasts who share our passion and want to help the inefficient delivery of high-quality software for our brands and customers.
We are looking for a Senior Scrum master who is a self-motivated, highly organized, result-oriented team player. He/she seeks to understand team dynamics, is passionate to develop productive teams and helps in optimizing the flow of value across the product teams.
As a Senior Scrum Master, you will design and implement a strategy for product teams in a product line to continuously improve their use of GapTech Agile practices. Help teams inspect, adapt, deliver and mature. You will leverage your agile/lean mindset and coaching expertise to facilitate the process and partner with leaders & internal stakeholders within Technology, Product and Program management organizations for the adoption of agile & DevOps practices. This role will be a team member within product teams, as well as part of the overall DevOps Enablement Community of Practice.
What you'll do
- Responsible as a Scrum Master in managing sprint effectiveness for 2 to 3 scrum teams, facilitating, and organizing Scrum events – help the team focus on goals, self-manage to achieve objectives sprint-to-sprint
- Ensure the teams have a healthy backlog of ready to playwork by collaborating with the Product Manager (Ex: the creation of a priority sequence of epics, stories); Works with the Product Manager to align the team with the product vision, sprint goals, and other necessary information
- Coach on increasing team productivity by analyzing metrics (e.g. burndown, velocity, burn-up, cycle time); Lead continuous improvement efforts with teams by implementing takeaways from retrospectives and implementing concrete solutions to make the teams more efficient and improve delivery success
- Responsible to apply Agile values and principles to ensure GapTech Scrum best practices are followed by product teams; Deliver hands-on coaching to scrum teams in all aspects of Agile, Scrum and Kanban (Ex: Agile values and principles, planning, DoR, DoD, iterative development, estimations, managing flow, limiting WIP, etc.)
- Share and learn best practices with Scrum Master peers to increase the effectiveness of the application of agile practices in the organization
- Creates an environment of collaboration within the teams that allows for open dialogue and productive solutions for resolving conflicts; Represent product team in Scrum-of-Scrums to ensure all teams are aligned on progress and timelines
- Evaluate and mentor existing Agile teams - assess the team’s agile maturity and coach to higher levels of maturity at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization; Responsible for coaching & mentoring junior scrum masters
- Drives adoption of GapTech standards of Agile Processes, Jira Usage, and Reporting across product line; Responsible for identifying and implementing improvements across product line/business unit; Deliver customized Agile training as needed to promote and improve agility across the product line
Who you are
- Requires 8+ years of overall in IT industry; Must have 4+ years of experience as a practicing Scrum Master on the team
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or Professional Scrum Master (PSM 1); Must possess a deep understanding and application experience in Scrum & other Agile frameworks like Kanban & XP
- Ability to collaborate with and influence people at various levels in the organization; Must have demonstrated strong communication skills with global teams with an ability to communicate effectively across written, verbal and presentation formats to a variety of audiences from engineer to Senior management
- Demonstrated strong facilitation skills in leading technical teams in the adoption/improvement of agile practices and experience in managing in understanding team dynamics and building alignment in resolving issues
- Must possess excellent situational awareness and an ability to remain calm under pressure and be cognizant of how you are perceived
- Knowledge and experience of using agile management tools (Ex: Jira, Confluence); Exposure to modern engineering practices like TDD/ATDD, BDD, CI/CD, Pair Programming
- Experience working with globally distributed teams and managing across time zones
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs