About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Gap Inc.’s Government Affairs team is part of the Strategic Growth Office, which is at the forefront of driving our next chapter of growth. The Government Affairs team plays a foundational role in how we shape our go forward strategies in ways that support the values we live by and how we operate and expand the opportunities we create at a local, federal and international level across multiple jurisdictions.
The Head of Government Affairs and Public Policy for Gap Inc. is responsible for identifying key policy objectives to drive Gap Inc.’s business objectives and to develop and lead Gap Inc.'s government relations efforts in support of those objectives at the local, state, federal and international level. This primary purpose of this function is to drive the advancement of the company’s focus areas including but not limited to retail industry public policy, trade, tariff and tax impacts, and workforce/labor issues through government and civic engagement.
This role is instrumental in connecting government needs and objectives with our company’s strengths. Ability to develop relationships internally and externally in a multitude of settings and organizations is critical This role is accountable to develop strategies using qualitative and quantitative analysis and economics to support Gap Inc’s strategic position. The leader will be able to present these strategies along with the supporting economics to drive alignment across C-Suite and Senior Leadership Team. This includes clear communication across the business as to impact and opportunity. This role will also understand how to best develop and maintain relationships with government associated authorities to legislatively represent and protect Gap Inc.’s interests. The Head of Government Affairs and Public Policy will report to the Chief Growth Transformation Officer.
What you'll do
- Create and implement Gap Inc.'s long-range global government relations strategic plan for legislative and regulatory issues at the international, federal, state and local levels.
- Drive qualitative and quantitative analysis based in economics to formulate Government Affairs strategies; help to prioritize opportunities based on economic impact, feasibility, and our values
- Identify new data or analytic capabilities that can support teams in improved decision making.
- Support the Board, C-suite executives and brand leaders to appropriately engage government officials and support public policy initiatives.
- Work across cross functional teams to develop policy impact and asks leveraging the organizations expertise.
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials, legislative staff, policy groups, serving as a strong company advocate.
- Anticipate roadblocks and proactively address issues before they impact business results.
- Partner with brands and corporate communications to identify areas we can amplify initiatives that would support our government affairs strategies
- Drive execution of major events/meetings in coordination with Strategy, Communications, Brands, C-Suite, and/or key external partners.
Who you are
- 20+ years professional experience, in the field of government relations, consulting, and/or strategic public policy; ideally in both public and private sector. Preferable background and graduate work in economics and policy. Consulting experience preferred not required.
- Ability to communicate policy positions via a business case that includes qualitative and quantitative considerations (including economic analysis)
- Excellent communications and influencing skills, including strong written and verbal presentation skills; synthesize findings, prepare presentations that communicate status, recommendation, and actions to C-Suite
- Must possess a strong desire and necessary attributes to proactively advance and operationalize policy positions through high impact internal and external engagement
- Ability to navigate complex political and corporate settings to bring teams together to solve challenges and that addresses opportunities facing the company
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills, as well as a strong client service focus, business acumen and the ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, deal with ambiguity, meet demanding deadlines and manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment
- The candidate must be flexible and able to evaluate situations quickly and act decisively
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs