About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
The Head of Public Policy, Government and Community Affairs for Gap Inc. is responsible for identifying key policy objectives to drive Gap Inc.’s business objectives and to develop and lead Gap Inc.'s government relations strategy in support of those objectives at the local, state, federal and international level. This role will also be responsible for defining and leading the public affairs and corporate giving strategies for Gap Inc. and in partnership with the Gap Inc. brands: Old Navy, Gap, Athleta and Banana Republic. This primary purpose of this function is to drive the advancement of the company’s focus areas including but not limited to retail industry public policy, trade, tariff and tax impacts, and workforce/labor issues through government and civic engagement. This role understands how to navigate complex political and corporate settings with ease, and to bring many disparate voices together to solve challenges and address opportunities facing the company. This role will also understand how to best develop, maintain and nutures relationships with government associated authories to legislatively represent and protect Gap Inc.s’ interests. This is accomplished through key business partnerships, a dedicated government and public affairs team, as well as an array of trade associations, consultants and external resources. Additionally, this role will lead the team charged with building community and philanthropic relationships, managing the philanthropic grant portfolio, development of strategic plans, evaluation of the outcomes of charitable investments, and other strategic analyses. Collaborate with leaders across Gap Inc. to gather insights on opportunities to make our community initiatives and grants more impactful; leverage insights and relationships to identify and operationalize enhancements that advance Gap Inc’s mission.
What you'll do
- Create and implement Gap Inc.'s long-range global government relations strategic plan for legislative and regulatory issues at the international, federal, state and local levels.
- Develop the strategies and support the Board, C-suite executives and brand leaders to appropriately engage government officials and support public policy initiatives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials, legislative staff, policy groups, serving as a strong company advocate.
- Deliver a significant return to the company’s top and bottom line through its government relations outreach.
- Partner with brands and corporate communications to amplify the company's philanthropic and community iniatives as well as increasing the broader impact of the company’s sustainability iniatives throough community grants and programs.
- Manages Gap Foundation operations and guides the development of foundation strategy. Develops strategy for, and supports the execution of, major events in coordination with business colleagues and/or external partners.
Who you are
- 20+ years professional experience, in the field of government relations, corporate affairs, public affairs and/or corporate communications, ideally in both public and private sector
- Must possess a strong desire and necessary attributes to proactively advance policy positions through high impact internal and external engagement
- Ability to navigate complex political and corporate settings to bring teams together to solve challenges and that addresses opportunities facing the company
- Excellent communications and influencing skills, including strong written and verbal presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills, as well as a strong client service focus, business acumen and the ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, deal with ambiguity, meet demanding deadlines and manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast paced environment
- Strong composure skills including the ability to work calmly and effectively in high stress situations
- The candidate must be flexible and able to evaluate situations quickly and act decisively
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Gap Inc. and its related brands will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here: English Spanish Chinese Tagalog
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs