About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About the role
Employee Relations consultant for Gap Inc. is responsible for partnering with Global Employee and Labor Relations (GELR) and company leadership regarding business initiatives and impact to the employee experience with a focus on driving performance and engagement, as well as upholding company culture. Advocate who employs proactive problem solving, including working with leaders and business partners on business planning, solutions, training diagnostics, etc. Responsible for resolving and/or recommending solutions to employee concerns either by consulting with HR and other business leaders in the investigation process or conducting high risk or high visibility investigations to determine outcome. Minimize legal risk and negative exposure by ensuring pragmatic, efficient and timely resolution of high-risk issues. With some exception, this is an individual contributor role expected to display strong management and leadership skills given the expectation to partner, influence and communicate with business partners at all levels of the organization. Partnership occurs with: 1) All levels within the organization when assessing employee impact on key business decisions; 2) Human Resources and Business Leaders seeking efficient and timely resolution of high-risk issues, as well as influencing appropriate change based on trends; 3) Sr. Manager, GELR LT, for partnership on complicated issues and analysis of data gathered during investigations; and 4) GELR Operations/support staff regarding scheduling and urgent issues.
What you'll do
- Manage & influence proactive Employee Relations Strategy with business and HR leaders. Support Gap Inc., Proactive Employee Relations strategy implementation to mitigate risk. Assist Gap Inc., Labor Relations competency-builiding initiatives and trainings
- Build strategic relationships to be able to influence business leaders and recommend solutions regarding high-risk incidents and trends. Drive the assessment and diagnosis of high-risk issues, providing direction on high-risk investigations; conduct high-risk and complex investigations when necessary
- Assess organization needs; diagnose and recommend solutions that impact organizational health based on employee relations’ trends and business strategy
- Support the legal department in responding to government agencies and department of labor investigations. Provide content expertise, guidance and direction in situations involving the FMLA, ADA and wage and hour issues. Drive compliance with state and federal labor laws and provide appropriate communication to HQ and Field populations regarding new regulations
- Act as an ambassador and educator to Human Resources and business partners about consistent application of Gap Inc policies and procedures including open door policies as well as Employee Relations philosophies and perspectives. This includes: diagnosing training opportunities, and developing and executing proactive training and tools to support business strategy and/or to influence a positive work environment. Assess current applicability of policy and procedure based on changing needs of the business and makeappropriate recommendations to Policy Function
- Conduct ER assessments and/or interventions and design and execute comprehensive response teams at the function or enterprise-wide level; additionally, support assessment of employee impact on key function or enterprise-wide business proposals and proposed reorganizations. Aid business response to Labor Relations and morale issues.Identify trends, recommend, and influence appropriate changes in the employee experience at the function or enterprise-wide level within the organization
- Provide coaching to business partners on how to have difficult conversations that drive performance, promote healthy work environments and influence change throughout the organization
Who you are
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Human Resources, to include Employee Relations. Bachelor’s degree in a related field is desired
- Strong expertise in US employment law. Demonstrated proficiency in conducting complex internal investigations. Experience creating and maintaining a proactive employee relations strategy
- Demonstrated excellence in influencing skills, as well as conflict resolution
- Excellent relationship building skills and the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization (both verbally and in writing). Strong management and leadership skills, including composure and command presence
- Flexible and adaptable; able to work under pressure and handle multiple highly sensitive issues
- High professional standards regarding customer service, confidentiality and integrity
- Strong presentation and training skills, as well as demonstrated project management experience
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs